Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

highn0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
I am currently struggling with the decision of wether I should get a MacBook Pro 14" or an iPad Pro 12.9" M1 with MK.

Since I had some Macbooks and iPads and the past, I am familiar with both MacOS and iPad OS.
Also I am using an iPhone 13 Pro Max and a Apple Watch. So I want to stay within the Ecosystem.
I already had the iPad Pro 12.9" M1 months ago. I returned it because I was trying some other Tablets like the s7+ and S8 Ultra. I wanted to grab and try a MacBook Pro 13 but then the MacBook Pro 14" with Mini LED were released.

My usecase for it is pretty simple and most of the time "consuming". Some Research, Mails, HDR 4k Videos, light Video Editing, some Photo Editing, using some iOS Apps (all available on Mac / iPad store), etc.

Important point for me is the Display. Since I already had the iPad 12.9" Pro M1 I know the Advantages and disadvantages (Blooming, smearing of text). Most of the time I will use the device in "Lap-mode" so the screen will be my main screen.
My problem is I somehow cant make a decision and I want to avoid having 2 devices if possible, because I am sure one of the 2 will end up lying on the desk.

Maybe someone had same struggles or could help me with some arguments.

It will be my Main device beside my Windows Laptop for Work.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I am currently struggling with the decision of wether I should get a MacBook Pro 14" or an iPad Pro 12.9" M1 with MK.

Since I had some Macbooks and iPads and the past, I am familiar with both MacOS and iPad OS.
Also I am using an iPhone 13 Pro Max and a Apple Watch. So I want to stay within the Ecosystem.
I already had the iPad Pro 12.9" M1 months ago. I returned it because I was trying some other Tablets like the s7+ and S8 Ultra. I wanted to grab and try a MacBook Pro 13 but then the MacBook Pro 14" with Mini LED were released.

My usecase for it is pretty simple and most of the time "consuming". Some Research, Mails, HDR 4k Videos, light Video Editing, some Photo Editing, using some iOS Apps (all available on Mac / iPad store), etc.

Important point for me is the Display. Since I already had the iPad 12.9" Pro M1 I know the Advantages and disadvantages (Blooming, smearing of text). Most of the time I will use the device in "Lap-mode" so the screen will be my main screen.
My problem is I somehow cant make a decision and I want to avoid having 2 devices if possible, because I am sure one of the 2 will end up lying on the desk.

I know the pain you’re going through. I did something similar a year back. Had a MBP 13 M1 and an iPad Pro 12.9 2018 vintage. I don’t remember which I used the most. That’s the frustrating part for me personally. 😭 since im contemplating on buying a MBP 14 but I don’t recall if I had much uptime with my previous MBP or iPad or perhaps neither 🤣 All I remember was that I sold the iPad and at the time kept the MBP.

But I have a question for you. How do you rate the display technologies from a users point of view comparing the 12.9 iPad M1 v the S8 Ultra. ? Im aware the latter is OLED. But never have compared or used either device. Cheers.

tomstone74

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2021
Tried to use an iPP 12,9" 2018 with a MK as a laptop replacement in the Apple ecosystem in combination with my iPhone and AW. It simply didn't work out for me, mainly iPadOS related. The iPP 12,9" with its gorgeous screen was a great device for media consumption like web browsing, streaming, reading PDFs etc.

I now went with / got a MBA M1 16G/1T refurbished and sold the iPP 12,9" 2018 + MK in favor of getting a iPP 11", as it is easier to handle in bed etc. The MBA M1 is an awesome laptop (my 1st MacOS device) in combination with a 27" 4K monitor and handles my light-weight DEV use case (Java, IntelliJ) with ease.

Will never ever go with a tablet as laptop replacement again, at least until the underlying tablet OS isn't prepared for that.

highn0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
I know the pain you’re going through. I did something similar a year back. Had a MBP 13 M1 and an iPad Pro 12.9 2018 vintage. I don’t remember which I used the most. That’s the frustrating part for me personally. 😭 since im contemplating on buying a MBP 14 but I don’t recall if I had much uptime with my previous MBP or iPad or perhaps neither 🤣 All I remember was that I sold the iPad and at the time kept the MBP.

But I have a question for you. How do you rate the display technologies from a users point of view comparing the 12.9 iPad M1 v the S8 Ultra. ? Im aware the latter is OLED. But never have compared or used either device. Cheers.
That’s easy for me. If I could decide what Panel I get in the iPad, it would be OLED all day. I like OLED a lot more than mini LED. You don’t have smearing or ghosting. The peak brightness is good enough for me.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Biting_TheApple

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
Warwickshire, England

Well, I have just gone from a 12.9" iPad Pro with Magic KB to a refurbished M1 MacBook Air 16G / 1Tb .. it's actually lighter than the iPad + KB, battery life is way better and can definitely do more. I use it connected to a LG 5K Display at my desk (maybe Studio Display next) .. and the combination works amazingly well.

I also have an iPad mini 6th Gen with Apple Pencil 2 for note taking .. along with iPhone 12 Pro Max and Apple Watch. I can carry one charger, two cables and I'm good to go with everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.