Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Psycho_travis

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2022
Same problem here. I changed my MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max 10 / 24 /16) for the third time this week and no change even with 12.2 update.
Is it possible the problem is only on "customised" MBP ? We tried on several other computers in the Apple Store and there was no problem what so ever....

kkulishev

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2021
Same problem here. I changed my MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max 10 / 24 /16) for the third time this week and no change even with 12.2 update.
Is it possible the problem is only on "customised" MBP ? We tried on several other computers in the Apple Store and there was no problem what so ever....
Im on MBP 14" Pro 8core base model with that problem.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Same issue here also. I hope this is a software bug and can be fixed.

Same... is there any known fix for this with 3rd party software? What I'm scared is that this doesn't happen with older laptops only the 14" so I'm not sure if it's not a hardware problem

themacmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Same... is there any known fix for this with 3rd party software? What I'm scared is that this doesn't happen with older laptops only the 14" so I'm not sure if it's not a hardware problem
I returned the 14 MBP and got a 16 MBP. The trackpad is working fine now. The other difference is that the previous 14" was running 12.1 and the new 16" is running 12.2.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
It has gotten better after updating to 12.2 so this leads me to believe that it's a software issue related to macOS Monterey.

themacmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
It has gotten better after updating to 12.2 so this leads me to believe that it's a software issue related to macOS Monterey.
Today, I had access to another 14" Macbook Pro with 12.2 installed. Unfortunately, it still has tap-to-click issues when using control or shift. And, it still has issues with pinch to zoom. These functions work flawlessly on the 16" M1 Pro MBP. It still maybe a software issue, but it seems like it's affecting the 14" MBP more.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Holy fffff are you telling me this still isn't fixed with the latest OS update? This drives me nuts with my Magic Trackpad (latest model). Constantly having to turn the trackpad off and on again to get back only pinch-zoom. Get the F out of here. This is really making me want to toss all my gear out the window.

jerrycauser

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2022
I had some issues with trackpad: scrolling freezes (especially in chrome-like browsers) and sometimes unregister of taps on touchpad.

But I found out the reason and possible solution for my troubles
The reason was the ProMotion screen with enabled Promotion. Idk why and how, but with disabled ProMotion settings everything works fine. And using external 144hz monitors provides no issues with scrolling and taping for me.

Firstly I tried to disable ProMotion and everything was good for me.

But after I realize that I had changed some settings in accumulator section before I started using macbook: I had enabled "power saving mode" everywhere. The logic was simple "I don't need such a calc power for daily programming needs".

I disabled "power saving mode" and everything started working smooth and clear even with enabled promotion.

So there is the issue: With enabled ProMotion and enabled Power Saving Mode scrolling via touchpad freezes, especially in chrome-like browsers.

To fix it we can disable one of these things and everything will be smooth.

Reactions: Kin Yalbets

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
What a strange quirk. I read this and checking my 2019 MBP 13in and no issues that I can tell. The trackpad works flawlessly. I've tried multiple gestures and clicks, no issues. I'm on Monterey 12.3.

Bit worrying as I've ordered a 14in MBP!

mereøl

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2021
What a strange quirk. I read this and checking my 2019 MBP 13in and no issues that I can tell. The trackpad works flawlessly. I've tried multiple gestures and clicks, no issues. I'm on Monterey 12.3.

Bit worrying as I've ordered a 14in MBP!
a have the old MacBook Pro and also with Monterey and there are no problem, but my new 16" Max m1 have the same problem its very bad....

themacmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
This is very weird. All tap to click gestures work on the 16" for me. I'm on Monterey 12.2.1. I actually tried three 16" MBP and four 14" MBP. All 14" MBP had the problem. All 16" MBP worked fine.

joptimus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2016
Same issue here (MBP 14" M1 Pro). I even wrote to Tim Cook :D
I can only encourage you to report this as often as possible. Annoying for a $3000 laptop!

Reactions: Alfazone

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
I tested this on two 16" M1 Pros and one 14" M1 Pro at an Apple store this morning. Neither of the two 16" (running 12.3.1) exhibited the problem while the 14" (running only 12.3) did. [I also did not hear any popping from the speakers of the 16" playing you tube videos, FWIW).

Kin Yalbets

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
I am having the same problems with my new MBP 14 M1 Pro on the latest macOS. If I disable ProMotion and fix the refresh rate at 60HZ the problems go away. I'm also using Low Power Mode for Battery and Power Adapter. If I turn off Low Power Mode for both the problems go away. What seems to cause the problem for me is having ProMotion and Low Power Mode on at the same time.

Looks like Apple has some work to do here. It appears to be an issue with ProMotion. Hopefully it is strictly a software issue. I still have a few weeks to return it.

@jerrykauser Thanks for your post!

Last edited:

baile76a

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2017
Add me to the list also. Command + Click is huge issue. So is scrolling, refresh rate, motion blur, bleed through. Probably should have waited for GEN2 of these 14". The screen improvements could be huge. Don't get me wrong watching HDR content is fantastic, but for most day to day tasks this screen is a dud and the command + click makes it almost unusable for me. Broken in all browsers.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
Here's what I think about Apple's current MacBookPros: I am still using my 2008 MacBookPro.

Why? Because it has something the current MBPs do not have: a matte screen (not to mention a bug-free Mac OS and fully functioning trackpad). After upgrading the ram to 6GB and replacing the spinning HDD with a SSD, it still does all the things I want it to do (web surfing, email, messaging, facetime, remoting in to my macmini HTPC and other macs, Windows VMs, basic recording with Logic Pro X and Reaper, Lightroom and more).

Yes, it is slower and the battery is shot and I would like to upgrade. But to what? A $2k+ machine that is hard on the eyes and can't get even the basics right. I don't think so just yet.

TimTicker

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2022
I'm glad I'm not the only one. The senior Apple person I spoke with said they didn't know anything about this issue. Maybe Tap to Click isn't popular. I can now refer them to this thread. I first noticed the problem when using Command or Shift to select multiple emails in Mac Mail. Often it takes three taps to select. Nothing I've tried, or that Apple suggested, has made a difference. Turning off ProMotion or enabling Low Power Mode included.

JUBK

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2022
Hey, I'm happy to read that I'm not the only one. I also noticed that when the trackpad isn't working the way it should (all the same issues as described above apply) it works again once I restart the MacBook Pro 14 (bought in April 2022)
However, I just discovered that the F3 (App Expose) is also not working, when I'm experiencing the issue.

Is that true for anyone else?

joptimus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2016
Actually it works if you wait for like 2 seconds before trying to select the second item. I think it's some kind of timing problem or the detection engine is too slow due to a hardware limitation/bug?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.