MacBook Pro 15 " 1.83 Left Fan Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrMoore, Aug 9, 2008.

1. MrMoore macrumors 6502

I noticed lately that my MacBook Pro was running loud even if they laptop was only up for ten minutes or so. I downloaded a program to control the fan and noticed that my left fan is not working. I also has the iStat widget which states the left is at 0 RPM. Is this normal?

The MBP is running Leopard and it has all the latest patches. I am not sure what to do. Is this hardware or software related? What are my options? If I needed to get this repaired, would this be expensive? The laptop is about 2 1/2 years old. I am not sure how long the fan has not been working.

If anyone can offer suggestions on what I can try to do, I would appreciate it.

:)

Attached Files:

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

A dead fan isn't too hard to replace. You can probably find a spare one off of eBay. Check out ifixit.com for a good guide on how to do the job. Having apple do it will most likely cost a fortune.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

A computer fan should NEVER show 0 RPM. That's always a sign that something somewhere is wrong. Bad fan, disconnected fan, bad control software settings, ect. I'm surprised you haven't had any overheating issues with a fan out of commission. In any case, I'd follow the above poster's advice, and just do the swap yourself. iFixit can supply you with both the fan and the directions.