Macbook Pro 15 2.0 vs 2.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OldSocls, Jun 7, 2011.

1. OldSocls macrumors newbie

I'm deciding on whether to return my 15 inch 2.0ghz i7 for the 2.2ghz.

I did a lot of research, and it seems that the higher end model is significantly faster, and the graphics card is higher end.

I ended up paying $1.9k - $100 rebate, so $1.8k for the baseline 15 inch with my student rebate.

However on Amazon, they have the high end 15 inch for $2060, with no tax, but they do not have any student specials.

Of course buying from Apple gave me a $100 discount, but with 8.75% tax where I live, that cost me more than I saved. I did get a free printer after rebate, but I really don't need an extra printer, and printers aren't something that is easy to sell.

I know Apple usually has a back to school special where a free iPod Touch is given out (a $100) value, but then again I haven't heard anything about that yet, but judging by past events, I'm sure it'll be announced soon.

So now I'm thinking of just spending $200 more than I originally did and buy the high end 15 inch Macbook Pro, as the specification difference between the higher and lower end is significant, and would be more "future proof".

I was just thinking what you guys thought. Maybe the $200 extra isn't worth the extra processor and extra graphics performance. I would love to hear some input from the MacRumor community.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I had the same dilemma as you, except I ended up getting the 2.3ghz 8mb cache 15", then adding 1600mhz ram and a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. I dont regret it at all. I wanted some longevity out of it as well.

Id say get the 2.2 with the better gfx.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Only you know your daily usage and requirements, are you just upgrading to have more HP, or do you really NEED the extra HP. This is a ? only you can answer.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since you are asking the question, it probably makes no difference at all. You do not explain what you use your computer for. Web browsing and checking your e-mail will be the same on the 2.0 and 2.2.

5. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

The usefulness of the upgrade depends entirely on what you're planning to do with the computer. They are both very powerful machines. What are the main programs and/or games you want to use in the near future, as well as down the road?

6. OldSocls thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys.

I don't really do much except surf the web, watch some HD videos, and play some games.

The games I play are Starcraft II, Portal II, Team Fortress, and some other Mac compatible games.

I also plan to dual boot on Windows so I can play Battlefield 3 when it comes out, and am patiently waiting for Diablo III.

7. cchanlatte macrumors member

If that's the case, you would be better off upgrading. The increase in GPU more than anything else will be something worth the extra cost.

8. flimflamini macrumors newbie

Hi there-

New to the forum. I'm trying to figure out exactly the same thing. 15 inch 2.0 vs. 2.2.

Considerations: I'll be running the cs5 suite on a daily basis- dreamweaver, indesign, etc.

My current 2ghz intel core duo (1st gen intel) mbp from 2006 has finally succumbed to a crap graphics card and other issues. Longevity is very important... I plan on keeping my new mbp for 5+ years, as well.

Any/all input is greatly appreciated!

-flimflamini

9. djosiris macrumors newbie

I feel you and OP both should go with the 2.2ghz. OP is playing games and you're concerned about longevity. It's more about 1GB GDDR5 for graphics than the processing speed.

I'm about to purchase one myself. I'm just waiting to find out what's happening with the B2S.

I'm going with the 2.2ghz, 128 Gb SSD, Hi-res anti-glare. It'll run me about $2200-2300. I'm going to be heavy into editing HD video. My internal debate is whether to go 17" or not.

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I hope not the Apple provided SSD... ewww

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I dunno, I have a 2006 MBP, and it's a 2.16ghz model. Had I spent the extra $300 for the 2.2 model, it would be just as outdated and useless as my 2.16ghz model is now.

And all I mean by that is that a $1000 Macbook, a $2000 Macbook Pro, or a $2300 Macbook Pro, would all be just as good for checking my email and going on facebook today. They would have all been just as useless at doing anything demanding as well.

Really, don't expect a computer to last more than 2 years before any current gen hardware starts to show its age, and if you're planning on getting a new PC after 2 years, there's no reason to get the best.

TL;DR: Future proofing is dumb unless you specifically need the better specs.

12. djosiris macrumors newbie

Yes, that's what I was planning on. I guess I'll search for posts and read up on that.

13. flimflamini macrumors newbie

fair point about future proofing. I guess I just need to determine whether the upgraded specs will be significant enough to warrant the cost (obviously), or whether I'd really not notice any difference.

it's a tough call.

the one thing I'm relatively certain about is the high-res screen. can't think of any real downsides to springing the extra $90 for it. seems like a no-brainer.

14. OldSocls thread starter macrumors newbie

I know new technology comes out fast, and gets out dated really fast, but when I say future proof, I'm just wanting to make sure it lasts for about 2-4 years.

So will the 2.2ghz, 1gb graphics card 15 inch model still be considered "average" in about 3-4 years?

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not for gaming. I don't even know if you could consider any Apple notebook graphics card "average" these days. For everything else it will probably still be overkill.

16. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I would recommend a 3rd party one such as Intel or OCZ.

17. OldSocls thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the one in the 2.2ghz is considered average, mid range.
    Anyways, I went ahead and purchased the 2.2 ghz 15 model, and hopefully it'll last me for at least 3-4 years.

18. djosiris macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, after doing research looks like the best option for me is to go with the 7200 rpm drive and purchase a 3rd party SSD. I'd then take the stock ATA drive out and enclose it.

19. JR1993 macrumors regular

If he didnt say battlefield 3 would you recommend 2.0? As the other games arent THAT demanding

20. 301finest macrumors regular

Even tho I wanted the 2.2 model, Im very content with the 2.0 model with a 256SSD simply because I don't have a real use for the bump in graphics card.

21. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I just got the 2.2 myself. I was debating it but after reading some reviews it sounds like the graphics card in the 2.2 is a beast compared to the one in the 2.0.

I read this review http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review...-GHz-quad-core-glare-type-screen.50344.0.html and it pretty much sold me on the 2.2

22. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would go for the 2.2
    I have the same model but just 17in. and yes you get faster CPU and you also get better graphic AMD Radeon 6750M with 1GB of VRAM instead of 512MB.

23. OldSocls thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually the ram in the base 2.0ghz 15 inch model is 256MB. So it is a significant bump in graphics.

I'm surprised Apple has made the jump in specifications that significant.

24. Laps macrumors newbie

Hijack

Hey guys,

Sorry for the hi-jacking but I also need some help deciding between the two. I am a software developer and here is what I will be using the macbook for:

- Java/Web Development
    - CS5 suite (dreamweaver, photoshop, fireworks)
    - Occasional movie editing/dvd creation (iMovie/iDVD)
    - General web browsing
    - General media (music, movies etc)
    - Bootcamp or similar (windows/linux) (or similar)

I dont play games... SO what do you guys think, 2.0 or 2.2?