MacBook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz i7 Review/Feedback from a real customer.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillEH, Mar 18, 2011.

1. WillEH, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Now I've had time to get used to this laptop, I'm going to post my review and feedback about this laptop.

Having been a PC user for many years, I took a leap of faith in to the world of Apple by buying this £2000 laptop. God will look upon me in a good light, little bunnies will have sweet lives, and children in Afirca will eat for a month.

Reason for buying: Wanted a reliable laptop, something with a good name to it. Stong, fast, and that would last me a while. I spent months looking at Apple laptops, but luckly when I was buying, the new 2011 models were coming out.

Price: I'm sure this factor plays a big part in anyones decision in buying a laptop. The MacBook Pro, 2.2Ghz, i7, 8GB ram, 750 GB HD is a fairly expensive laptop. For what it offers at around £2000 it's very costly for the normal user, such as myself. You have to think to yourself, will I use this daily? Am I going to use it as a internet surfing laptop only? I'd say for my usage (Music, photos, internet, and Rome: Total War) I went over kill with this laptop. I would of been better off with a Core 2 Duo laptop, able to handle the same tasks, and much much cheaper.

The design: Beautiful design, hands down the most beautiful laptop I've ever laid my eyes on. Architecturally beautiful. It's truly a stunning peice. Each part of the laptop is finished beautifully. You will not find another laptop as stunning as the 2011 Apple MacBook Pro in my opinion.

The Laptop: Upon firing it up the first time, I had issues with it. It would take 1 minute to start up, then go to a black screen. I got over this for a bit, I then took it back to the Apple store where a prompt, speedy replacement was handed over to me with no questions asked. I fired up the new one and was instantly amazed at the speed and the welcome. Apple are truly a unique company when it comes to hardware. Everything thing was perfect, the greeting in 40+ different languages, the introduction was amazing. The first tasks I did was to test how much this laptop could handle. But I failed, because I couldn't do enough to make it even struggle. It just kept beating out it's super juice and kicking ass. I even went to lenghts to get my external hardrive, connect it, and open around 800 windows and it opened all of the windows like it was breathing air. No lag, no choke, no nothing. Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard is so easy to use, it's simple, user friendly and beautiful. I've not had any issues like I did with Vista, Windows 7 - ( I use to think it was Apple propaganda to go on about errors, windows problems, ect, but it's really not, it's just a beautiful OS, mac that is! ) I've succesfully played Rome Total War like a walk in the park. Nothing has been too much trouble for my laptop.

The Care (AppleCare): Next to none, perfect. No issues walking in the store when my laptop was faulty. Replaced it straight away. The service is brilliant. I know that for the next 3 years, as long as I look after my laptop, and somthing goes wrong with it that isn't my fault, I'm in good hands. It is recommended to get this insured for accidental damage.

My final verdict: Putting the price aside, I'm extremely happy with this purchase. Beautiful, fast, simple. No problems and a service that I can be confident with. It's a hands down must buy for anyone who is looking for a laptop to do serious tasks with, or if you have the money to burn, simple tasks. I also know that in 4-5 years time, this laptop will still be powerful, and will still be realiable for sure.

I understand that this is only my experience, of course people have had bad experience, and others good. But for me it's been good (so far!)

Thanks,

WillGH aka AppleMacNoobie :cool:

2. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

I also bought the high end 2.2 ghz 15 inch model. Obviously an overkill for me too as I mainly browse the internet and 99% of the time facebook, but I buy Apple laptops mainly for the resale value. I tend to always want to get the latest and greatest. I would then sell it after a few months use after the hype goes down and I would break even on the $ spent after selling it.

Nice review btw, hopefully this will convince more people to buy this monster.

3. kushed macrumors regular

Like you, i also went overkill with my laptop. I have the same 15" i7 2.2 8g Ram and a SSD. i am in college so i mainly surf the net and write documents. I might pick up gaming soon just for fun once in awhile. But this computer is soooooooooo powerful! i too have loaded like every app on my dock and had like 10 webpages in safari while watching hd movies and downloading more and this thing is just breezing through all of it! I had the money to blow on it and so i figuered i might as well. I am hoping that this thing will still be worth some money in 2 years because im the guy that likes to have the newest gadgets.. (I have purchased every iPhone on release date). While browsing the net i see that older mac computers retain their value pretty well. and as for pc.. lets just say throw aways. i am very happy with this mac and although its way more power than i will use at the moment, id much rather have too much than not enough! not to mention the more power will just help resale! congrats on your laptop dude, you now own the best laptop on the market!

4. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

5. eaf7s macrumors regular

Let's be honest; maybe 1% of new MBP owners will ever even BEGIN to strain a quad core i7 lol.

6. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I exchanged my 2010 15" base for the 2011 15" base the day it came out and was pleased with it except it had problems with tethering my iphone 4 for internet and made strange beeping noises when two-finger scrolling on windows 7, so i returned it, next one was, as the OP said, beautiful and worked a treat but I decided I needed more graphics power so I exchanged it (they even let me do it after the 14 day period!) but the new 2.2 had stuck pixels, so they opened up another one for me in the store and sure enough that one had stuck pixels too.

I finally got one that is absolutely perfect (the first thing I did when I got it home was reset the SMC and PRAM) and again as the OP says, an unalloyed delight to use. For now, it's overkill for me but I intend on getting back into gaming and also trying my hand at producing things like pamphlets and doing video/photo editing.

OS X is also lovely, but for those tasks where you need windows there's always bootcamp so it's win win, and all at less than 1" thick!

7. tcador macrumors regular

Good write up. I, like others, also don't push it to it's limit on a daily basis. But I do run several VMs at times and have found it to run VERY smoothly with the setup I've got in my sig. My previous '07 MBP was a dog running Windows 7 in Fusion for some reason.

8. sydenham macrumors regular

You mean the new one doesn't have a skipping hard drive? Wow sounds like you found a winner.

9. solaris7 macrumors regular

don't!

10. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Indeed, but I will strain it soon. I really want to pump the juice out of this monster :)

11. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

I googled this quote just as my mum walked through the door and she fainted.

She has low blood pressure. The google results were fairly tame.

12. eaf7s macrumors regular

Oh dear...oh dear :D

13. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I grew up playing the old bioware games like baldur's gate, planescape: torment, etc, and now they've released this amazing piece of eye-candy with a story-line to match: dragon age II.

I wish I could say no but, alas... and anyway, I need to make some use out of this graphics card ;)