Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz - Upgrade to 10.6?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kasofo, Aug 8, 2011.

1. kasofo macrumors newbie

I have an opportunity to buy a used Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 duo with 4 GB of ram for $350 from my nephew. Question is, it's running 10.5.8 now. Can I upgrade to 10.6? At $350, is it a steal?

Any advice gladly welcome since I'm not so savvy on these things. ;)

2. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

That should have no problem running 10.6. I had the 2006 MB 2.0 CSD and now a 2010 MBP 2.2 C2D that both had no issues with 10.6. If you're concerned about performance, you could invest in a SSD, or the less expensive option of a memory upgrade.

Personally, If I could find one of those for $350 I would snatch it up as fast as I could.

3. wegster macrumors 6502

Unless I'm wrong, the cpu speed means it's at least a (pre-unibody) Santa Rosa chipset: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...k-pro-core-2-duo-2.4-15-santa-rosa-specs.html

which can take up to 6GB of RAM, and yeah, for $350, would be a pretty good deal, as non pro 13" macbooks of the same era still go for $400-$500-ish. it may be newer, which has incremental but relatively minor improvements, or may be a unibody, can't guess.

Check that it's indeed a 2.4GHz C2D, and not an earlier core chip...any C2D can upgrade not only to Snow Leopard but to Lion.

4. kasofo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I don't get everything you've said but basically get that: 1. it's a good deal, 2. find out if it's C2D so I can upgrade.

5. kasofo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, your original post has some offensive language in it. I don't like that.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Go to the :apple: -> About This Mac -> More Info... and tell us what the model identifier is.

If it is the 4,1, you have the nVidia 8600GT ticking time bomb. The graphics card in those models has a known defect where it will eventually fail, leading to a computer that will not display anything.

Fortunately for you Apple will change your logic board free of charge should this happen.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have a very similar mbp, except it is 2.2 c2d instead of 2.4. Yes, it can run 10.6. Only issue is finding a 10.6 dvd, now that lion is out.

That's a great price, and it is a very good computer. The only thing to watch out for is the video card. It should have a 8600gt from nvidia, which had a large recall due to a defect. It potentially could die on you at some point, or you may never have an issue. Mine hasn't died yet, but the motherboard, which includes the video card, has been replaced a couple times for unrelated issues.