Macbook Pro 15 2.4G i7 Quad HD - Max Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GrassHoppa10, May 11, 2012.

1. GrassHoppa10 macrumors member

So - just received my MBP today, new, CTO.

Got it with 7200rpm 750GB disk. Re memory, just ordered stock 4GB.

I have read inconsistent posts on MacRumors that there are possible overheating issues or perhaps compatibility issues with going 16GB memory.

Just trying to get a conclusive - DEFINITE statement, that it is safe to go 16GB. I always have used memory from crucial. They have memory for this config 16GB at $159. Any thoughts, suggestions.

Will do SSD later, hopefully 512GB SSD for primary and 750GB original disk as secondary disk.

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

The overheating issues are overblown. I'm running a base spec 15" current gen with 16gb and an SSD with no thermal issues at all. Same memory was in the early 2011 13" I upgraded from and had no issues with that either.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I don't think there will be any issue unless it's some faulty RAM.

5. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I have overheating issues. My brother has overheating issues. Not everyone has overheating issues.

Many people have had success with 16GB of RAM, it is not officially supported so if you do run into compatibility issues, Apple won't listen if you complain but I haven't actually heard of anyone having issues. If your 15" is not overheating now, 16GB won't change that. You don't have to worry about heat if you're upgrading your RAM.

6. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

If some people have overheating issues, maybe OP its best to stick with 8gb for the moment. Why do you need 16gb?

7. GrassHoppa10 thread starter macrumors member

I am a network security guy, network engineering etc. So have all 3 browsers going, about 5-6 tabs in each - network mgmt etc, vmware fusion with windows server 2008, ssl vpn, outlook, sparrow, and a bunch of other stuff too.

I frequently use up 8GB on my mac mini server. 16GB on MBP would be very well used.

8. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Gotcha. Well, if you are in US, OWC has tested and proven 16gb will work on 2011 machines. I'm not saying overheating issues don't exist, but I don't think it's widespread.

9. cperry2 macrumors regular

I'm not having any issues. I'd say the vast majority of people aren't having issues - and you can really use the 16gb - so choose a reputable manufacturer and try it out

10. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

No issues whatsoever with 16GB! It's definitely only worth it if you truly have the need for it right now. I took the $99 Corsair package. I had an issue the first time with a bad module, but Amazon replaced it in a blink of an eye and it's running perfectly fine.

11. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Just go with the 8 GB of RAM. You really don't need the 16GB and a lot of people have problems with the 16GB of RAM, its a hit or miss with overheating on it.

12. Ccrew macrumors 68020

For what he's described as his usage patterns he can use 16gb.