MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz or 2.66GHz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cici88, Jul 22, 2009.

1. cici88 macrumors newbie

I am having a hard time using these 2 machine. I wonder how's the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics & NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB would affect the performance of these 15" MacBook Pro. And is it worth the 300 bucks? How about the up-coming-Snow-Leopard? Will these cards affect the performance again? Thanks.

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I had to make this choice too and save the $300 the GT dosent improve benchmarks by 5 points and sometimes does worse! If your not doing extreme editing or work its not worth it. I wouldn't worry too much about Snow Leopard it wont be to notable of a change.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you play games, get the one with 9600GT. If you don't, it'll just eat your battery

4. MisterMT macrumors newbie

For HD video editing?

Will the step up to the 2.66 make a significant difference to Final Cut Pro editing?

I am about to buy a new video camera and one of these machines to edit with... don't want to save a couple of hundred dollars and find it makes a massive difference in workflow.

5. joehahn macrumors regular

i would willingly go back to the store and exchange my 2.53ghz model for the 2.66 for a few reasons. not to say that this is a bad machine, but i would love to have the better computer. If you have the money, get the 2.66

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Is it worth the upgrade? Probably not, when you think about how much the percentage of the total cost of the computer the upgrade is, I'd say most users would have a hard time upgrading. With that said the video card sounds worth it and if you are going to use Final Cut, the speed is always important. As long as both of the users that are asking about these respective upgrades plan on keeping each of your computers for more then 18 months, I'd say go for it.