Macbook Pro 15" 2.O or 2.3GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yann.kuto, Oct 31, 2013.

1. yann.kuto macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I decided to buy a new macbook and actually I'am hesitating between the new macbook pro 15" , prized at 1,999$ and the other one for 2,599$

Do you think that 8gb ram and Intel iris pro will be sufficient for my architectural/ graphic work? That means everyday use of Photoshop, Illustrator, Rhinoceros, AutoCad and Vmware to run windows for 3d studio max+ Vray renderings. Or it's better to invest another 600$ for the top version?
    I also hope to use the machine for at least 4- 5 years.

and I will not use it for playing games :)

What do you think? I will be glad for any help :)

Ciao!

2. Darthmnkyrpm macrumors member

So, I got my Late 2011 MBP 15" and it still works like a charm. My advise would be to get whatever the lowest option for RAM and then just replace it yourself. I now have 16gb ram and trust me, you can tell the difference. For such an old computer, at least in the eyes of Apple, it runs perfectly. And it's really not hard to install. I don't know anything about internal computer stuff and I managed to find a YouTube video and do it myself in around 30 minutes. And I would say, if you can spare the extra money, especially if you're already saving on ram, then go for it. It will definitely make your computer feel a lot faster and snappier.

3. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

If you plan on using Rhino and 3D Studio Max, you'll get noticeably better performance from the nVidia GPU than the Iris Pro.

I would strongly suggest you bite the bullet and get the $2600 model.

----------

Unfortunately the RAM in the retina MBP is soldered in and not user-replaceable.

4. Darthmnkyrpm macrumors member

Really? That is so annoying. I completely forgot that they changed that with the retina MBPs. Another reason why I like my old laptop over the newer ones I guess.

5. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Agreed, if there was a way to put a retina display on the "old" MBP chassis, I'd be all over it.