Macbook Pro 15" - 2 SSD - Raid 0 - Windows 7 ONLY

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scalion, May 26, 2010.

1. Scalion macrumors newbie

Hi
    Im thinking to buy a macbook pro for 2 main reason :
    1- i like the quality of the screen (im a Graphic Designer)
    2- It fit just right into my photography bag

I want the Macbook pro 15" (with Anti-glare(damnit reflection)
    I know that i need to change the Optical Disc and put the "thing" that fit like a optical dvd and there a hole inside to put the ssd.

Then make the 2 SSD in raid 0 but i want to use only Windows 7.

Is it possible ?

2. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

i may be a real big n00b but i don't think the mbp has a raid controller

3. JacaByte macrumors 6502

That's correct, RAID 0 on MBPs is done software side, in OS X. It's possible to do the same with Windows, but I don't have the faintest idea of how you'd get Windows on a MBP by itself.

Assuming you can get Windows 7 on by itself, you'll have to install it to one disk, then enable dynamic disks with Disk Management and use the second SSD for RAID 0. (striped volumes)

4. DanteDrac macrumors newbie

I believe that in theory all you need to do is load the driver for the raid during the windows 7 install. Windows 7 64bit has the ability to load naively and be seen by the EFI so no OSX is needed and thusly its just a normal PC sans BIOS.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its SO easy its not even funny.

1. put in your 2xSSDs
    2. insert windows DVD
    3. boot from it, install.
    4. find appropriate drivers (or use BootCamps pre-packed drivers (recommended))

away you go!.

can i ask why you are sticking with windows>? will you not even give OSX a try?

6. Scalion thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought it was the bios driver (like Marvel with intel, JM Micron, etc..) who manage de raid first before the OS.
    Every time we start a computer we can see on the bios the raid controller, so that what i was worry about.

I was thinking to install windows with an external dvd (It's the only time i need a optical dvd)

So, when windows ask the driver for the raid, should i tell him to search on the windows dvd or with the osx dvd ?

The reason why i don't want to even try osx, it's just because some of my software aren't compatible with osx. There others reasons but i don't want to deviate the subject.

7. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Why the hell would you spend $2,200+ on a Macbook Pro if you aren't even going to use OSX?? Do you enjoy throwing money away for no reason?:confused:

You can get the same/better hardware in a PC with Windows 7 already installed for less than half that price. You can even get a Sony laptop with an i7 processor, 6GB DDR3, and a Blu-Ray player for under $1,000.

Reference 1 (Acer)
    Reference 2 (Lenovo)
    Reference 3 (Sony)

8. mathieuplante macrumors member

Let me guess, he's buying it because it looks shiny and he wants to impress his friends.

9. yustas macrumors regular

I bought the basic 15" MBP model and I also plan on using Windows 7. I will give the OSX a try, but that is not why I bought the MBP.

The reason why I bought it has to do with the fact that none of the systems you have mentioned, or even an upcoming HP's Envy 14 and 17 can match MBP's performance and aesthetics. When I say performance I mean the battery life and the aspect ratio of the screen. 16:9 screens are for watching movies, but when it comes to coding or even browsing, they suck.

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I can't promise that you'll get 9 hours of battery life running Windows. The 9-hour figure relies the hardware/software combination that is a big selling point for Macs, and how well it'll hold up with the software part removed is questionable. I'm sure someone else has done the math.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the figure would more be like 6hrs :( battery life is TERRIBLY optimised

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're overpaying for what you want to do, buy a PC.

13. Scalion thread starter macrumors newbie

Like i said, the 2 main reason is :

1) The quality of the screen
    2) Fit just right into my photography bag (15", not a 1 cm more, thx to round corner)

Of course there other reason like, the design, ... yes, i like it, i like the simplicity of it. It look "solid" (Even if it's not that much from another laptop). You have also the raid controller. It's tiny, weightless. etc...

But for me it's realy about the quality of the screen, i just don't know wich notebook have same or best quality.

There a ton of notebook, but there not one that have all i want for a reasonable price.

Here my priority :

#1 Quality of the screen
    #2 The shell construction, something solide that can go anywhere (travel)
    #2 So it mean 15", not more (but may be i can sell my bag and get another one just for that like a 15,6")
    #3 Price (around 2000$)
    #4 Performance :
    - CPU (Need a lot of core with hyper-threading from intel) (i7 720QM)
    - Raid 0 with 2 SSD (size of 80 or more)
    - 8g ram (1333)
    - Graphic video (5870 ati)
    - Output : Hdmi / Display port / Esata / USB 3 (More then x2) / SDXC (but right now i don't think anyone got this) so let's just say SDHC
    - And all other stuff that im not thinking of
    #5 A nice big area for the mouse (sorry for my english but i don't know the name... the thing you put your finger on)
    #6 A nice keyboard like macbook pro (Actualy most of pc copy the keyboard of the macbook pro)
    #7 Battery, but with this kind of machin and work it never go far so...

14. Simmity macrumors newbie

Simmity

Battery life is only optimized for OSX, you will not get the hours advertised while using windows. ( I am using a 13" MBP, I get 8-10 hours under osx, I have a hard time getting 5 under windows 7)

15. yustas macrumors regular

The battery life under Windows is not the same, but it is still longer than any PC-based laptop can deliver. Besides, it is only a matter of time until someone writes an app that turns off discrete graphics card, which is probably the main reason why the battery does not last as long as on the OSX.