Macbook Pro 15" (2007-2008) vs. MBP 13" (2009)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by killnoj, Sep 9, 2011.

1. killnoj macrumors newbie

I'm interested in selling my MBP 13" (2009) for a MBP 15" (2007-2008). The reason why I'm interested is because I'd like to have more screen space when I'm working with Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, and multitasking. I know I'll be missing out on the multi-touch trackpad and a better build if I were to make the switch, but I do not mind these factors.

What's your guys' thoughts? I need to hear whether or not this choice would be a foolish one or an okay one to go with.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Well, I'd think you could sell yours and put in a bit of money and get a 15" unibody - they seem to go for not much more than what you could sell your 13" for.

And sure, it makes sense to get a 15" if you need the screen space. Do be wary of the nVidia 8600m graphics card issue, though - they can fail, and while Apple has a repair program for them, it can be a major nuisance to have to deal with it.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well, if you've got the desk space, I'd say get a separate monitor and keep your current computer. I got a 20" monitor for $150, and they can be had for cheaper than that.

4. psykick5 macrumors 6502

+1

You won't have to deal with moving your data, either.

5. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I agree, if you can just get a bigger monitor and hook up you'll be much happier. The two inch difference in size between a 13 and 15 isn't that much for what your thinking, the 17 would make a noticable diff in comparison. I wouldn't get rid of an 09' 13 for an pre 09' 15.. you can find 09+ 15's for sometimes the same or barely more than a used 13

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I wouldn't trade any unibody MacBook Pro for a pre-unibody computer. Get an external display if you need more room to work with. If that's not feasible, than save up some extra cash and sell your 13" for a new (or refurbished!) 15" High-Res model.

7. jljue macrumors regular

While an Early 2008 MBP has multi-touch gestures, I'd still keep the unibody 13". I usually do all of my editing with a larger 20" monitor. I've had both pre-unibody and unibody MBP's, and I prefer my 15" MBP. I might go with a 13" MBP or air for the next one for portability, since Thunderbolt port and my external monitor allow me all the connections that I will need, when it is time for a new Mac.