Macbook Pro 15" 2008 , Stripped Screw advice if possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Waynec, May 24, 2011.

1. Waynec macrumors member

I recently bought a used Macbook Pro early 2008 15" and decided to take it apart to clean the fans and hopefully replace the thermal paste as it was running hot.
    after removing the fans and cleaning out a substantial build up of fluff , I decided to then tackle the motherboard, prior to doing this I bought the correct tools for the job ie, a Torx 6 screwdriver and a 00 Phillips. all of the screws came out easy as pie until i reached the last one and guess what?, well to my surprise someone had already been in there and had stripped the last black phillips screw. I wouldn't have minded if i'd have done it but its really annoying to know the thing is preventing me getting the logic board out and cleaning underneath.

I have looked on the net at various way of solving this and would like advice please?

1. Shall I drill the head out slowly of this small 00 phillips screw or could that lead to things being stressed on the logic board?

2. Do Micro screw extractors work? or are they a waste of money?.

thinking of getting these

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952157000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1#reviewsWrap

or these ( I live in UK and can't buy the above readily but they may be too large ) and may not work
    http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=145402

the screw is smaller than torx 6 and is a phillips 00 head heaven knows why apple didnt use trx 6 on all connections on the logic board

any advice please

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unless the screw is well and truly stripped to a circular hole, I would take a small, appropriately-sized flathead screwdriver and press very hard while turning very slowly.

3. Waynec thread starter macrumors member

its stripped to a circular hole sorry aint got a camera as the computer is currently what im typing this reply on

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Do as miles says and get on it with a flat screwdriver and put some serious downward pressure on it as you every so slowly turn it. I wouldn't go the DIY screw extractor method at all. screw extractors work really well but I know I wouldn't even attempt to use one myself on such a small screw. There's such a minute margin for error. Honestly, if it were me and you couldn't get it out with the flat screwdriver, I'd find a computer repair place with a good reputation and pay them the twenty bucks or so to use their expert tools and professional expertise to get it out for you and get a replacement screw from them as well.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Are you able to grip the edge of the screw with some needle nose pliers?

6. Waynec thread starter macrumors member

I have used a pic of the internet and the screw is the small black one to the left of the ram in the picture below

[​IMG][/IMG]

7. Waynec thread starter macrumors member

no the screw is practically flush with the logic board, the pic i posted is of the same logic board as I have the screw you can just see to the left of the ram it actually goes through the logic board into a grey support. there is no room to get pliers around it without the risk of doing damage to the rectangular area next to the screw

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

9. Waynec thread starter macrumors member

its where the ram is , if you look across the top gold area of the ram to the end you will see a small black screw next to a rectangular area of the logic board, below a circle on the area where the battery goes

apologies that the only picture I could find on the net of the same board

10. emfsfo macrumors newbie

11. KwanMan macrumors regular

12. Waynec thread starter macrumors member

do the precision screw extractors definitely work as they are quite expensive and knowing me id only use them once as I have never had a stripped screw before and am very careful, pity whoever did this wasnt as such

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

They're difficult to use, especially such small ones. I wouldn't do that procedure myself. I had no qualms about removing the logic board in my macbook to re-do the thermal paste, but if I had found a stripped screw that I couldn't get out I would definitely have let a pro do it. I'm not talking about a Mac genius here, but a proper computer repair outfit. You could definitely screw up your system if not done properly. They have the tools and the experience to do it right and they most likely would charge you less than the cost of that tool set. Oh, and they'd have a replacement screw for you too.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'd drill the head off but I've worked in a toolroom for the last 30 years so I know what I'm doing. :)

If you are not confident you can do it yourself, see if you can find a local engineering workshop who can do it for you.

If you do try it yourself, use a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the head of the screw (and a little bit bigger than the screw thread) and if possible use a bench press drill. Also, take your time and make sure to blow out all of the swarf.

15. Waynec thread starter macrumors member

I have been to a few computer repair places and non of them really want to take on the task, I think its due to the words logic board to be honest, I thought about what you said , I have a dewalt battery drill and some really small drill bits, I wouldnt do the job if I could live with it but when running certain procedures it goes up to 90 degrees Centigrade and that to me is quite un nerving, I continually feel under the LCD as im scared this heat will warp the bezel or something.

Are these logic boards quite hardy and will it stand me drilling as slow as I can to remove the head of the screw.

any further help is appreciated from your good self.

I considered the various screw extractors mentioned but have looked at reviews and people have said they are a waste of money and just spin in the hole making it larger

would i be better drilling slowly if i attempt it or moderate speed, as im thinking that drilling quickly may cause more potential of damage ?

thanks

16. Waynec thread starter macrumors member

Problem Solved

I took you chaps and ladies advice on this one and took the Macbook Pro to an Authorised Apple Service Provider in Bradford , West Yorks, UK. The Tech in there kindly took the laptop and said he would remove the screw for me, I said when do you want me to come back?, the guy said "I can do it for you now if you like?". 45 mins later he came back out with the job done!, new screw inserted and the cost? - would you believe he said its ok no charge!!!.

I was totally taken aback three years out of warranty and they did it for free , now thats a good place to go for repairs

well chuffed thanks for your help.