MacBook Pro 15" 2010 Clamshell Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CocoaTurtle, Sep 9, 2010.

1. CocoaTurtle macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I'm having a small issue with my MacBook Pro (latest model) and connecting it to an external monitor. First off I'd just like to say I have tried Googling the issue but can't seem to find anything.

I am trying to use my 22" Samsung Television as an external monitor for my MacBook Pro, it works just fine if I connect it (using dual screens) but when I wish to use the display as a primary monitor (closing the lid on the MacBook) nothing happens, although if I click the Magic Mouse within around 5 seconds of closing the lid, the desktop will flash up for a few seconds and then disappear, waiting longer periods like 30 seconds or more doesn't do anything at all, the sleep light just continues to pulse.

I am using the Apple Clamshell method, as described on their website, connecting the display, closing the MacBook's lid and then awaking the Mac via a bluetooth mouse or keyboard (I have the 'Awake On Bluetooth' option turned on).

I am using a Neet HDMI Display adapter which I purchase from Amazon UK, I'm wondering if this could be the problem, as my MacBook (Model 2.1) works without any issues this way and uses an official Apple connector (although via VGA).

Any help would really be appreciated on this matter as I just can't get my hear around it!

Thanks in advance.

2. Tarek macrumors 6502

My MBP is connected to a 25" Samsung screen using DVI (Digital Video Interface) and I sometimes use Apple's method and sometimes I use another one. I go to System Preferences > Display and configure it to only use the Samsung screen.

If that doesn't work, then I'd use another cable and check.

3. cookieronster macrumors member

Haha I also had this problem. Just connect the MagSafe. It will not work without being plugged in.

4. Tarek macrumors 6502

Oh, I forgot to tell him that it won't work without the Magsafe. However, he forgot to mention whether it is connected or not.

5. CocoaTurtle thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for the speedy replies! I didn't even think to try plugging the MagSafe in, I didn't realise that was a requirement! I'll give that ago and if it doesn't work I'll be sure to try out your tip and hopefully be able to shut the lid of the MacBook!

Cheers!

6. cookieronster macrumors member

Based off of the issue he was experiencing I am 99.99999% sure the issue here is the MagSafe.

7. Tarek macrumors 6502

Yeah, I am sure that's the issue. Thanks for the input, mate. It totally slipped my mind.

8. CocoaTurtle thread starter macrumors member

I've just done a test with my MacBook Pro and you guys nailed it! The MagSafe not being plugged in was the cause of my problem! Can't thank you guys enough for your help, really appreciate it!

Thanks again! :)