Macbook Pro 15" 2010 Standard Glossy Screen problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sshhoott, May 29, 2010.

1. sshhoott macrumors 6502

sshhoott

I recently got a Macbook Pro i5 2.4Ghz with a standard glossy screen. The screen is very vibrant and compares well to my MBP 13" in terms of saturation levels and contrast levels (contrast levels are a bit lower on MBP 15).

However, the top left of the screen displays a slight diamond-like pattern when I move my head and eyes fast while viewing the screen or when I drag and move a window really fast in that area. This doesn't happen outside the red boxed area in this picture. I understand that I might not be clear about the "diamond-like" patterns but some of you who have owned a windows laptop recently (such as sony) might notice strange patterns in pixels when the viewer's eyes and head observe the screen in motion.

Is this normal for a MBP 2010 Standard resolution Glossy screen?

Here is a screen shot that depicts this issue:

Attached Files:

2. saunterer macrumors newbie

Interesting. I see the same behaviour on my 15" i7, standard glossy.

3. sshhoott thread starter macrumors 6502

sshhoott

I used to have a sony that used to do the same thing but all over the screen.

I guess we should wait for more responses to conclude that this behaviour is normal. I really don't think the MBP should be doing that.

Users who own 2009 MBPs 15" should also pitch in their opinion as the new 2010 MBPs and 2009 MBPs have same screens.

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

5. kolax macrumors G3

I have the 9CA4 screen and it has this problem. When I move my head left to right I notice it and it is really quite irritating. Well it was, I've learnt to live with it, but a fix would be nice.

Can everyone who has this issue check what kind of screen they have?

6. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have this screen 9CA4 but not seeing the problem

7. sshhoott thread starter macrumors 6502

sshhoott

I have a 9CA4 screen with manufacturer code 00000610. So far 2 people with this screen experience the problem but 1 person doesn't.

I believe this might be a hardware issue. But just to confirm, I will check with Apple support.

8. cathy88 macrumors member

9. mudwoman22 macrumors member

I have the same screen, 15 in. i5..but no problem here.

10. emcham macrumors member

11. kolax macrumors G3

In that thread, my replacement didn't have the issue and everything was fine. That machine was brilliant.. really wish I hadn't sold it to get the new iX MBP.

I've not asked for a replacement with my 9CA4 screen, other than the issue described here, the screen is fantastic and I'd rather not have to play the Apple Screen Lottery again.

12. matt8804 macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro 15" core i7, standard glossy screen 9CA4, same problem :(

13. emcham macrumors member

Apologies, I wasn't aware you sold that computer. Sorry to hear that you are again troubled with the same issue though. Did you go with glossy or matte?

14. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Did the Apple techs ever say exactly what it is that is causing the problem? I have a 9CA4 panel which has been brilliant but if I move my eyes VERY QUICKY from right to left I can see a very small "diamond" pattern at the very top left just as the OP mentioned for a split second if I REALLY focus on it...it doesn't happen every time but I have noticed it after reading this thread (never noticed it before)...I thought it was just an optical illusion...anyway, aside from that, the color, sharpness, black level and overall quality of this panel has been outstanding...unless it is an issue that progressively gets worse, it doesn't bother me at all...

15. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I don't think there's a hardware defect here. What we have is an interaction between the eye, the brain, and the manner and pattern in which that portion of the the screen is painted during refresh. It's probably an illusion generated by motion of the eye, or moving screen contents. It would be interesting to see what happens if the screen is rotated 90* to the left to move that corner to the bottom left, or if the left few inches are masked with a piece of cardboard.

16. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I tend to agree drambuie...it certainly seems like an optical illusion...:confused:

17. kolax macrumors G3

Had to go with glossy as I wanted the standard resolution screen (I used the high-res for a week but found fonts too small for comfort).

18. emcham macrumors member

This is definitely a problem caused by way that the eyes/brain interpret visuals. I think the true optical illusion is when a screen works nicely enough not to allow the eyes/brain time to notice the inner workings.

A few times I have been to my apple store and compared screens. Sure enough, certain models the "mesh" appears, others - none. Consistently.

Hardware issue? Personally, I think so. With a company that pays attention to detail and user experience, you'd hope they would eventually carry only the best models that provide us with that optical ("mesh"-free!) illusion!

19. sshhoott thread starter macrumors 6502

sshhoott

I returned my MBP 15 and purchased a MBP 13 and the MBP 13 doesn't have this issue at all.

20. tasosp macrumors newbie

21. tasosp macrumors newbie

@Ronnoco @Kilamite plz try and tell me
    my macbook 15" i7 i have same problem
    and today i give back in strore and wait new MBP
    if this fix the problem i go to get back my old MBP back

sorry for my poor english

22. spencer elliott macrumors member

spencer elliott

i cannot see the problem in the OP's pic... ?

any other pics of it?

ive got a 15" i7 glossy and havent noticed anything, but im usually running it in clamshell mode. from that pic though i dont see anything abnormal. id like to know what to look for on mine. im taking it on vaca for a week and will be using the screen.

thanks

23. kolax macrumors G3

It's hardware and not software related I think. I installed that update back when it first surfaced. Didn't do anything to the screen's issue.

I've just learned to live with it and don't really notice it that much now. Would like a fix but such is life..