Macbook pro 15" 2011 battery charge fix!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vapor matt, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Vapor matt macrumors regular

Hi to all, i thought i would pass on this bit of info for everyone. I was given a macbook pro 2011 that had the battery X symbol and no matter what you tried SMC reset, or any reset it would not charge. new battery X 2 etc etc.

He gave it to me for spare parts as i have the identical machine, he needs portable computing. well the other day day i re applied the thermal paste in my macbook pro to great affect so was sitting here with not much to do and dragged out the other macbook pro identical to mine.

sure enough same old problem won't charge battery and will only run on charger, but by pass SMC and macbook will run on battery:eek: but fans full blast and some functions don't work. another typical thing is the battery indicator lights don't work on this laptop, we had already changed the DC board in this macbook which failed to correct the non charging battery.

So i thought lets take out the logic board and see if i can see anything obvious! but after removing the battery i looked at the battery indicator light strip, and thought mmmm i wonder if this little board also has something to do with charging apart from displaying the charge state. so i unclipped the lead from battery indicator lights from logic board.

:D put battery back in and plugged in magsafe and hey presto this macbook pro is charging and all functions work perfectly apart from no battery indicator lights.

it even sees the battery info now in battery information. so anyone with a problem like the dreaded X in battery indicator icon or the solid green light on charger, will only run from charger etc might try this fix. it takes 5 mins max:D

2. hermagerd macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my MBP 2012, but i found no thing like a battery indicator light strip. Is it the same on my version or is it only on the 2011 one? Im not fluent in english so i can't really understand the "lead" part of "i unclipped the lead from battery indicator lights from logic board". Could you explain it further? I have already tried disconnecting the cable next to the battery, but it seems to me you mean something else.

Are there any risks with doing this, considering it was put there for a reason?

----------

I googled around a bit and now i think it might indeed be the cable next to the battery, so for some reason it didn't work for me :/

3. Vapor matt, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014

Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular

here is a pic of the lead that comes from the battery indicator lights. the part to remove from logic board is marked in red. do remember to do a SMC reset as well after. it is in exactly the same place on the 2012 macbook pro 15"

[​IMG]

4. hermagerd macrumors newbie

Thank you for the picture!
    I tried again to disconnect it and I did a SMC-reset. Now my battery went from "replace soon, not charging, 0%" to the dreaded X; "No battery"... But it was worth a try!