Macbook Pro 15" 2011 or 17" 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by austinlallen, Nov 2, 2011.

1. austinlallen macrumors member

Hello everyone

Im in the market for a macbook pro and I need to decide which one to buy:

Macbook Pro 15" 2011 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Processor, 4 GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive

Macbook Pro 17" 2010 Intel Core i7 2.66 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB Hard Drive

Im like the bigger screen of the Macbook Pro 17" But the 15" is newer and Faster than the Older Model, Portablity is not an issue and i will be using it for Games, Web Designing, Web surfing, Virtual Machines, and Video Editing.

Just Opinion Which Model would you get???

Macbook Pro 17": $1,679
    Macbook Pro 15" $1,899

Thanks for Replies

2. JT123 macrumors member

I think it would be a bad decision to get the 17 especially if it is a refurb. You have basically answered the question by saying you use it for Gaming, editing etc. You will want every last bit of power you can get for your money.

In the future get a display, or save up for the Uber cool Thunderbolt Display.

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

2011 15 FTW!!

Faster is an understatement. The 2010 was a dual core and the 2011 is a quad core. It has better management due to the SB, a graphics increase, and TB which when the peripherals are released more widespread will be a game changer. Think about external graphics, increased throughput for video and storage (the ability to have a single cable to dock, just look at the new TB display Apple released). Currently it has better external display support as it can drive multiple displays, the 17 won't be able to do that. It also can support more ram and has a larger HD.

All the 17 really has going for it is the display. You didn't state what display the 15 has, but a 2011 refurb could be had for about the same price with a better display. Also if you have a school or work discount the price can be dropped (those discounts don't work on refurbs).