macbook Pro 15" (2011) SSD Vertex 2 or 3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mausse, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Mausse macrumors member

i know there is already alot written down about ssd in macbooks but i have a simple question.

Will be the vertex 240gb 3 (6gb) be really noticble faster than a vertex 240gb 2 (3gb) with normal use ,internet,aperture,mail,imovie.

We all want the latest and greatest but i would like to know if its really worth the extra cash...

please advice

2. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

I would have said yes. You have invested in the latest macbook, may as well get the SSd to match. It will also help you future proof the machine some what.

3. xchaotic macrumors member

I tend to agree - otherwise why waste money on the latest gen?
    On the other hand if saving money is your priority - get the previous gen from the refurb store or clearance one - still mighty fast and then get a vertex2.
    Much cheaper, still very fast.
    If you spent the money on the latest, why not take advantage of the fastee interface?
    Looking at the tests, V3 could easily be 25%-30% faster in all tasks where storage might be the bottleneck - opening apps, tabs, archiving etc
    For me it's worth the price premium...

4. sydenham macrumors regular

One of the benefits of the Vertex 3 is it seems to work with no problems. At least it does in my machine.

5. k43l macrumors member

I just got an Intel 320 Series SSD for my 2011 Macbook Pro 15". It's a SATA II SSD.

The reason why I got a 3Gbps instead of a 6Gbps is, that i don't think it would actually make a difference in performance
    SSD speeds already kick ass, no matter what SSD you choose. Even if the Vertex 3 is 20% faster, I don't think anyone would notice that an app opens in 1.4 Seconds instead of 2...

Also, Intel SSDs are the most reliable on the market.

6. Mausse thread starter macrumors member

thx for the heads up, will go for the latest and greatest.....sigh...again$$$:(

and i will keep telling myself i will use this laptop for at least 3 years....again...

7. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Haha, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use that machine for 3 years. It's going to be stupid fast.