MacBook Pro 15 2012 No CPU Sensor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac82, Jun 18, 2012.

1. mac82 macrumors member

I just picked up a 2.6ghz MacBook Pro 15, brought it home, and set about taking some measurements, mostly for the sake of curiosity. Installed SMCFanControl to check CPU temp and it reads 0%. Strange. Installed iStatNano and no option available to measure CPU temperature. Same with iStat Pro. iStatMenus has CPU Proximity (which isn't the actual CPU diode) and CPU 2, which may or may not be the actual CPU diode. My old favourite Temperature Monitor widget also has no sensor for the CPU, only CPU proximity.

So basically my question is simple: can anyone else with a 2012 MacBook Pro, any model, test one or more of these applications (especially SMCFanControl) and see if they have a measurement for CPU temperature. I would really like to know if this is the result of new architecture, or if there is a problem with this particular machine.

Thank you very much for any assistance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's likely a problem caused by the lack of updates for the new machines. Once the developers update their apps, the sensors will return.

3. mac82 thread starter macrumors member

@Intell: thanks for the reply.

Has anyone been able to measure the temp of their 2012 MacBook Pro CPU? I can't seem to find anything at all with Google.

4. JeroenDebruyne macrumors member

I have the same problem on my Macbook Pro 13" 2012, is the sensor faulty or is all software still not working with the new machines. I tested it also on a macbook pro 2012 15" in the store and it did work there...

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I just got my 15" cMBP and it shows CPU heatsink temp.

6. Queen6, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try Temperature Monitor by Bresink, it`s updated for Ivy Bridge

7. JeroenDebruyne macrumors member

Temp monitor Bresink seems to work but sometimes the temp of cores go away like its not finding it or something.

It shows CPU A pros and 4 cores.

I still think iStat pro is not working on the macbook pro 13" cuz of no updates? I will try iStat pro on another machine in the store.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I what I have seen is the four virtual Cores are sometimes dropped, the actual Cores are reported.

9. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I use iStat Menu and it displays the temp as "CPU 2".

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

smcFanControl does not show the temperature on my rMBP, but iStat Pro works fine.

11. JeroenDebruyne macrumors member

Strange IstatPro does not work for me but Temp monitor bresinck does only the virtual cores sometimes go away.

I guess its because the software aint fully optimized yet for all notebooks.

12. JandG macrumors newbie

I use Hardware monitor and it shows all temps for 8 cores and a lot more temps elsewhere.

You can get it here:

http://www.bresink.com/products.html

Newbie here my self but like to tinker

13. doh123 macrumors 65816

I looked in the SMCFancontrol Source code, and the key its using from the SMC is not reporting a temp. I'm guessing Apple changed it in the SMC, but I have no idea how to find out what it is, or I'd update SMCFanControl myself since the maker hasn't.

14. RS! macrumors newbie

does any one know how to change the language to English in temperature monitor, because mine is somehow in german :(