Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
California
I had a question for you MacBook Pro Pros. My brother is offering to sell me his 2013 15" MacBook pro, but the battery is in bad shape; only holds about half of it's original capacity.

Looking at iFixit, I definitely don't want to replace it myself. What a hassle! I don't feel like removing every single component!

I am considering buying it and letting Apple do the replacement. I believe they said it will cost around $200.

My question is when Apple does the replacement, do they just replace the battery, or does the entire top-case get replaced? If the latter, I am more inclined because the top-case has wear where the wrists rest on the case, and some of the keys are very worn, and it would be nice to have it feel like a "new" computer.

Thanks for the input!

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I am pretty sure it is a top case replacement because the battery is glued in place and the material is rather thin and easily deformed.

Pockett

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2015
As jerryk mentioned, the top case does get replaced since the battery is glued to it. A friend of mine also had his battery replaced recently and the computer came back looking brand new.

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
California
That's excellent news. I was figuring Apple would do that rather than a labor intensive battery degluing. That makes me much more excited about purchasing this computer.

Pockett, I love your cat. Reminds me of my cat growing up, except mine had a black nose.

Bluey_small.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.