Macbook Pro 15" 2014 image retention

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macjoshua, Sep 14, 2014.

1. macjoshua macrumors 6502

I have one of the new 15" MBPs, and noticed tonight after browsing the web for a while that I had dark shadowy lines along where the edges of the browser window had been. The dark areas lasted for 5-10 minutes, and are still faint. I tried restarting, and resetting PRAM, but that was no help.

Anyone else having this issue? The screen model is an A019(LG)

2. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I have a minor issue with image retention on my 15" 2014 as well. It only happens in my top left corner where my Tweetbot window constantly sits. It took about a day for mine to go away, but it had also been burned in over the space of like three weeks.

It always goes away with a little time. Mildly annoying. Apparently if you take it to an apple store they have an image retention test of their own that they employ and if it doesn't pass it they'll replace it.

3. peace4al macrumors newbie

4. peace4al macrumors newbie

5. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

All that's going to do is quickly remove the existing IR. The same types of images are frequently used with plasma TVs (and CRTs less commonly), some of which are prone to image retention. Running random patterns won't actually change the screen's rate of image retention.

The image retention issue is, as I understand it (someone correct me if I'm off) inversely proportional to how much inversion the panel does. More inversion potentially gives you certain visual artifacts when things are moving on screen, but insufficient inversion allows the panel to develop IR. I'm sure it's technically a bit more complex than that ("more" vs "less", etc.), but the point is that it's a property of the panel and not likely to change from anything you can do with software.