Macbook Pro 15" 2015 2 hours battery before empty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Deniax, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Deniax macrumors newbie

I upgraded from a Macbook Pro 13" 2013 model to Macbook Pro 15" 2015 with the m370x GPU

The battery usage when watching Twitch or other flash based streams, is off the charts.
    Where normally with my old Macbook I could watch streams for over 4-5 hours before the battery was empty, on my new Macbook, I can reach a maximum of 2 hours.
    And yes, this is with integrated graphics selected.

When not using Flash, the battery life is quite good, getting around 7 hours of work out of it for normal activity.

For me it seems this is more like a driver issue, but on the other hand, the integrated graphics of both the 2013 and 2015 model are quite the same, and so are the drivers.

Anyone has any ideas?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

3. Deniax thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I have gfxCardStatus installed, it said it was using Intel Iris Pro

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Check Activity Monitor then, must be something else chewing CPU...

5. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Flash bases stream eat up battery like crazy. Fans spin up, the CPU has to do a lot of work to decode the stream for you (yay flash) and it's generally a good idea not to watch the VODs later on since that will eat up battery life too.

Also, the best way to check if you're using the iGPU is to go to the "About this Mac" tab under the Apple menu. It states what GPU you're using, as I've found that gfxCardStatus is wrong sometimes. And like simsonsi said, check for other things in the background eating up battery life.