Macbook Pro 15" 2015 AMD M370X longevity in 2018?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hyperx136, Jun 11, 2018.

1. hyperx136 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody, I'm thinking of purchasing a MacBook Pro 15" 2015 upgraded version with AMD M307X GPU from my co-worker. He is selling me for a price of $1200 and he told me he bought the computer in Sept 2015, the battery currently has 138 battery cycles.

My question is how long do you think this computer will last? I know a deal of a MBP 13 2017 with touch bar and AppleCare until Dec 2020 for $1600. I know is a very "apples to oranges" comparison but my point is will the MBP 15 2015 last me until Dec 2020? There is no more warranty so I'm a little bit skeptical.

Thank you,

2. jerryk macrumors 68040

You should be fine if the system is in good shape. 5 years is not that old and 138 battery cycles is pretty low.

3. OSX15 macrumors member

OSX15

1200 is a decent price. It will last you a long time! I’ve had three of these before in my company and after employees left my business I started using their 2015 15” again (after selling my own one for a 2017 15”}

Honestly, i really enjoy the 2015. Love the keyboard for extended periods of writing. It’s a timeless model and I really think it’s great looking.

No laptop is going to last you forever. But for the price and performance it will be a great deal. The CPU still has a great performance very similar to the new ones. Only big differences are in GPU and better thermals (lower temps) on the latest 15”

It’s no comparison to the 13”. If your plan is to use it untill 2020 I would say go for it! It will easily last you this time. I’ve also found the 2015 15” with dGPU one of the most reliable systems of the last few years.

4. leman macrumors G3

Based on experience, I'd estimate that there is around 50% chance that the 2015 model will fail before 2020. in the end, its up to personal luck :)

I make a habit not to own any expensive equipment that is not insured agains malfunction, but I don't think that there is one general rule that can be applied to all situations.

5. Honza1 macrumors regular

As noted above by leman, it is luck... But based on my personal experience, all MBPs I maintained since ~2007 still work (or were retired while working due to obsolescence). That is 6 different vintage MBPs. There were few minor fixes needed (DVD drive died, screen needed replacement {done under warranty}) but generally these beasts for me have been indestructible. So based on this experience your chances are good.
    But again, computers fail once in a while and older they are, more likely it is. I prefer buying new and get Apple care+, that way I know I have 3 guaranteed years.

6. hyperx136 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I agree that luck is definitely a big factor. I have own several Mac and they all have different longevities. If I can buy an AppleCare for it right now I would but is is almost 3 years old. It is still in a pristine condition with no dents, scratches, been using it for a bit now and it is running perfectly. I'm really liking this machine over the MacBook Pro 2016 and 2017 that I have used for about more than a year.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I have a 2010 MBP that still looks, boots and runs fine.

There's no reason a 2015 model won't last 6, 7, 8 years or longer.

8. Hanson Eigilson macrumors regular

I swapped my 2017 15" model for the exact same laptop with a coworker lol, I'm happy with the hardware but not really sure what i'm going to do once it does wear out.

I wish the 3d performance were a bit better, especially performance/W, but it is what it is and I wouldn't trade it back.

9. TailsToo macrumors member

TailsToo

My 2011 with the dread GPU issue had the MB replaced under warranty in 2016, but otherwise the thing has been awesome. Still runs and looks perfect. If only it would run Mojave....