Macbook Pro 15" 2015 Intel GPU strange frequency

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by this_self, Jan 11, 2019.

1. this_self macrumors newbie

Hi. I've noticed it on several my macbook laptops. Sometimes (for now I didn't notice when exactly) the usual frequency of my iGPU could be decreased from 750hz (normal frequency) to 200hz and then all interface works not so fast. And only one thing helpful - reboot.

May be someone has been faced with the same issue and may be someone know how to google about it or make fast resolve?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. this_self thread starter macrumors newbie

3. curnalpanic macrumors newbie

Hi, I am having this exact problem with both a 2014 and a 2015 MBP (both with integrated Iris Pro graphics only). I used the Intel Power Gadget to confirm that the GFX clock has dropped to a steady 200 MHz.

Sadly, I have not found any fix for this despite searching extensively.

It seems to always occur when waking from sleep, and I have never seen it happen while using the computer. And just like in your case it can only be resolved by rebooting. But at least that solves the problem every time, albeit temporarily.

I'd say this happens at least once a week.

4. this_self thread starter macrumors newbie

@curnalpanic
    The first answer.. very good :)
    I was searching around this issue with trying to understand what exactly happening and why it is so..
    You won't believe...

It was iTerm2 in full-screen mode. When I was using iterm2 in full screen mode, turn my laptop into sleep and then restore from it, then GPU frequency was reducing to 200mhz and only reboot was helping me. I just stopped to use it in full screen mode and that's it. I didn't have this issue several months. Maybe it would be helpful for you.

And just interesting.. are you using iterm2? Maybe we have the same root of issue.

5. curnalpanic macrumors newbie

Ok, that' interesting. I don't use iTerm, though. But maybe there is another app causing the issue for me.

Anyways, thanks for your reply, and I'm glad you found the solution. :)

6. curnalpanic macrumors newbie

Hi again,

Just after posting here last two weeks ago, I noticed my Boot ROM version was a bit out of date. After upgrading my 2014 MBP to a 3rd party SSD (last fall), I don't get any of the ROM upgrades that otherwise come with macOS. That's just one of the drawbacks of replacing the stock SSD.

So I popped in the old SSD and installed Catalina (public beta) onto it. Now I have the latest and (hopefully) greatest Boot ROM. Yay!

I performed an SMC reset afterwards just for good measure.

In the 2 weeks since then, I haven't had the low gfx clock issue at all. Looking at Power gadget app, I also see the clock moving up and down a bit more than I'm used to. But never stuck at 0.2. So maybe they did fix something.

For reference, my Boot ROM version went from MBP112.0146.B00 to 156.0.0.0.0 (MacBookPro11,2).

I'll post here again if I ever see the issue again, but for now I will consider it fixed.

7. curnalpanic macrumors newbie

Ok, it just happened again. Apparently the Boot ROM did not do the trick.

8. this_self thread starter macrumors newbie

The same about me, it just happened again.
    But I didn't face with it so far... maybe about 3 months.

I have started to use custom display scaling

upload_2019-8-20_8-25-14.png

And when I have enabled it - I began facing with it again. But while I have been using default scaling for my Macbook Pro 15" 2015, I wasn't facing with it.
    Pretty strange stuff. I'm concerning that a lot of people should face with it, but just do not all realize what's really facing with it o_O

Just interesting, are you using custom scaling as well?

9. curnalpanic macrumors newbie

Yes, I have it scaling one step above the default, just like you. Looks like 1680x1050.