Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAir

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I have used my Macbook Air for some years now. It has been a good servant but I really need something new because I need a screen that can show somewhat correct colors not just when you look at it dead center + I would love a better resolution panel.

Now, I was going to buy the Macbook Pro 15" 2015 model (without the GPU since it can cause problems down the road) but should I buy the 2018 model instead?

The 2018 model of the 15" has a dGPU and I don't want that because of all the horror stories + I don't need the extra GPU power so I was looking at the 13" instead.

Would you get the 13" 2018 model (with the OLED strip) over the 15" 2015 model? I am thinking the SSD is not soldered to the motherboard + I don't have to think about the keyboard potentially breaking down.

Reactions: ButtUglyJeff

Forum-User

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
A year ago I chose to buy a used 2015 15" MacBook Pro, and have not regretted it. I used a 2016 model for work, & don't like the noisy, no-travel keyboard, nor the touchbar. It's much easier to touch-type on the 2015 model, and I get a real escape key when using vi/vim.

The newer models have brighter screens than mine, but I have needed to use the real ports often, and don't have to carry a handful of dongles. The newer models are thinner, but I was retiring an older model, so have no concerns over thicker Mac laptops. I also paid a lot less than the newer models. No complaints here.

I have looked at the 15" 2018, but the lack of real ports and the higher prices don't make sense for my situation. Good luck.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I have used my Macbook Air for some years now. It has been a good servant but I really need something new because I need a screen that can show somewhat correct colors not just when you look at it dead center + I would love a better resolution panel.

Now, I was going to buy the Macbook Pro 15" 2015 model (without the GPU since it can cause problems down the road) but should I buy the 2018 model instead?

The 2018 model of the 15" has a dGPU and I don't want that because of all the horror stories + I don't need the extra GPU power so I was looking at the 13" instead.

Would you get the 13" 2018 model (with the OLED strip) over the 15" 2015 model? I am thinking the SSD is not soldered to the motherboard + I don't have to think about the keyboard potentially breaking down.

I'd go with the 2015 15".

Reactions: biffysix

Fyrrwin

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
Just made the move from a 2015 15 (mine did have the dgpu) to a 2018 13 TB and I have zero regrets. I would recommend the 2018.

ales876

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
Guys don't forget, you are then paying a ******** of money for a machine which is about to get 4 years old. #justsayin

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Guys don't forget, you are then paying a ******** of money for a machine which is about to get 4 years old. #justsayin

That's why I got me a 6 year old 15" MBP 2012 i7. Cost me 500€. Upgraded that to 16GB RAM and the newest Samsung 860 SSD (last MBP where you can do that) and this thing is flying!. All ports an board inclusive ethernet. Battery easily changeable (but only had about 300 cycles). So with 500€ you cannot loose that much any more....(and I am sure that this MBP is worth much more than 1/5 to 1/10 of a new 2018 MBP)

Last edited:

DrBrush

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2016
That's why I got me a 6 year old 15" MBP 2012 i7. Cost me 500€. Upgraded that to 16GB RAM and the newest Samsung 860 SSD (last MBP where you can do that) and this thing is flying!. All ports an board inclusive ethernet. Battery easily changeable (but only had about 300 cycles). So with 500€ you cannot loose that much any more....(and I am sure that this MBP is worth much more than 1/5 to 1/10 of a new 2018 MBP)
That's a great machine. I have the same, though I have all replaced the internal optical drive with another HDD. Try doing that on a 2015 or 2018. ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wouldn't pay what apple is charging in the refurb section for the 2015 model, given the age of the computer. I will say the dGPU having issues down the road is unlikely. Apple solved that after the 2011 debacle and no other dGPU machines had issues. My 2012 machine is still going strong, 6 years later.

Reactions: spintronics

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Since Apple updated the TB models but not the nTB models, I'd recommend the TB model. The nTB model is a generation behind and could be updated at any moment, so it's not a great buy right now.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
That's a great machine. I have the same, though I have all replaced the internal optical drive with another HDD. Try doing that on a 2015 or 2018. ;)

The 2012 MBP wo Retina is a very special MacBook, because it is the newest MBP that supports easy self exchangeable HD/SSD, RAM and battery and the newest MBP that has an ethernet port, Firewire, and a DVD writer.

At the same time is is the oldest MBP that support MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 and USB 3....(and you can get it for small money and it has no obvious problems to my knowledge)

Last edited:

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Since Apple updated the TB models but not the nTB models, I'd recommend the TB model. The nTB model is a generation behind and could be updated at any moment, so it's not a great buy right now.
The nTB model wasn't amongst the OP's options, but I agree with almost everything you say here. The one bit I disagree with is "and could be updated at any moment": actually I think this is extremely unlikely. I expect Apple will just continue to sell last year's nTB models at this year's prices, and they will remain very poor value.

Or course it's possible that there will be other options in future, e.g. the rumours of a larger Macbook or an upgraded Air, but these are just rumours: nobody knows what, when or whether they will happen.

On the original question, it doesn't sound like performance is that important here. So it's a balance of price/upgradability vs age/portability. I'd tend towards newer and more portable (I have one on order), but different people may have different priorities. And there are a lot of other differences (ports, keyboards) which may or may not matter, depending on the individual.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

There is talk that there may be a new "MacBook Air" with a retina screen in the next month or so, so I wanted to ask other than the screen, did you have any high performance requirements? The 15" is vastly more powerful than the Air you have now, would it be overkill for your usage?

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
I’ve been of the same thought about getting a 2015 15” for awhile now... and still thinking about it. Checking the auction site here in Japan for a really good deal, and if I find one in super mint condition and low price I may have to do it.

The MBPs 2018 both 13 and 15 were in my thoughts, but the cost of the 15” and all the issues we are hearing about now and potentially down the road have gotten me rethinking that move. But the 13” is temping when the problems are solved.

The 3rd option which is now maybe my first, is that 21.5” iMac. Its not a laptop, but still small enough to move around the house now and then, and in the car with a carry bag for a couple days to another house every couple weeks for a few days. The magic keyboard is actually quite nice - not a fan of the new butterfly at all - and the 4k super bright display is amazing. Power without issues, and for what you are getting under the hood compared to the MBP’s it almost seems a bargain. Only ‘problem’ at this time is waiting for the coming [soon?] updates. If I did this, it would be my first MAC desktop going back 30 years of APPLE laptops, but as I said, with the issues in the 2018s, and with the age thing of a 2015 (still nice), could work out for me. BTW, using my iPad mini and bluetooth keyboard here, which in some ways is all the ‘portable’ I need.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I had a work issued 2015 that was replaced by 2017. Aside from the keyboard "feeling" better on the 2015 I'd rather have the 2017. Runs faster and cooler. I image the 2018 would feel the same with improved performance. I wouldn't buy a 3 year old laptop unless you were getting a really good deal.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
IF you can get the 2015 for a decent price, and if you favor its design over "the newer one", I say get it.

I -prefer- the old-style keyboard, not only because it doesn't break, but because it has more tactile feedback.

I -prefer- the "legacy ports" of the 2015 design. I haven't encountered a USB-c device yet in my life.

I -prefer- the smaller trackpad. The "large" one looks out-of-place to me, and I like to rest my palms on the palm rest. Why do they -call it- a "palm rest"?

I'm not sure I would want a new Mac with the t2 chip -- seems to be causing problems for many folks.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.