Macbook pro 15' 2015 vs Macbook pro 13' 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MariosG, Oct 30, 2016.

1. MariosG macrumors newbie

MariosG

Hello everybody, from a Windows user! Before we continue, my prof is about social media, digital, photo editing (for digital use & personal hobby-core user of lightroom). My essential need we could say is about processing, portability, high end screen, fast performance. All these made me wait until now for the new macbooks as i need a new laptop. After the launch event, even though i was thinking that decission would be easy, i found myself more confused than ever before :)
    I fing the "magic bar" a nice promo effect but not a great factor that would drive me to buy the 13' macbook pro for 1800$. So the dilemma is between the MacbookPro 13' without the magic bar, or buy the "old one" 15' mac book pro at the same price which comes with i7, 16G Ram, 256ssd and with all these HDMI, SD, USB,THUNDERBOLT etc ports!
    What do you think MacFans? Any help?? :D
    Pls take under consideration that i need a laptop with a life range at least 3-5 years as i am not the kind of person who changes its laptop every year.
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

I would not be worried about the longevity of a MBP. Seems to way outlast the less expensive PC typical in retail stores like BBY. If it were me, I would not but the older MBP. I also am a 13 inch fan. Had a 15 inch and just to large to tote around. Unless you need the power of a quad core and a dedicated GPU, I would consider the 13 inch. As for as the magic bar, not so sure myself. I would only NOT get it if i could not afford the extra $300. Probably not worth $300! I am still using a 2012 13 inch non retina with 16GB and 500SSD. I do not plan to upgrade until my unit just quit working, which I fear is another 3 years. Only 3 years old now, and no issues. Most people just buy the biggest and the best. I would looks at funds available and the needs you have for a laptop. Then one will "SPEAK" to you. Good luck in your decision.

PS: Touch ID would be nice.

3. jonobin macrumors regular

If you don't care about the new 'fancy' design, just go with the 2015 15"

4. nikguitar macrumors member

I guess the answer comes from your preference of mobility VS estate

5. MariosG thread starter macrumors newbie

MariosG

Ι think both 13 & 15 macs as excellent portable laptops.However if i finally go with the 2015 model, is there any significant difference between a 13' or 15' Macbook Pro? Of course in both cases i will prefer 16G of Ram..

6. jerryk macrumors 68030

The 15 inch screen is better for photo tasks with Lightroom. The 15 inch also has quad code CPUs vs the 13 inch that has dual core CPUs. This can have a impact on operation in programs, like Lightroom, that will detect and use multiple cores.

The 13 inch is considerable more portable, fits easily into bags, and is noticeably lighter.

So it is all about trade-offs. I suggest you try both at an Apple store before making a choice.