Macbook Pro 15" (2015) worth $1500 in 2018?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigpoppamac31, Nov 1, 2018.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68020

Okay so I'm looking at the following MBP 15" from 2015. It has the specs I'd want but is it worth the asking price now in 2018?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1394064200&requestSource=b

I know it's only a year newer than mine but it's got the 15" screen (mine is 13"), 16gb ram (mine is 8GB), and dedicated GPU. Down the road I'd upgrade the 512GB SSD to a 1TB from OWC.

2. dilgreene macrumors newbie

Seems high. Have you checked what they’re selling for on swappa?

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

Never even heard of Swappa before. Keep in mind that $1500 is in Canadian dollars which would equate to $1,145 US.

4. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

Now that seems like a good deal!

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

You really think it's a good deal? It is a 3 year old Mac. Keep in mind that mine is the 2014 13" model so it may not be a worthwhile upgrade besides screen and potentially better graphics. The new stuff is just way too expensive for me. I could likely get $1,000 or so for mine if I sold it after buying this other one.

6. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

B&H is selling a new model 2015 15" for $1799 US. 256GB SSD Intel graphics. $1200 for 512SSD sounds pretty good.

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 6.53.14 AM.png

7. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

Plus the one I’m looking at has dedicated graphics.

8. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

Plus the sleeve and book ark. It's probably sold by now, that is a good deal and looks well taken care of.

9. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

I’m meeting the seller tomorrow (Saturday). I’d only buy the Mac and power cable. I don’t need the other stuff.

10. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

bigpoppa wrote:
    "You really think it's a good deal? It is a 3 year old Mac."

IF it is in excellent condition (as the seller claims)
    and
    IF it boots and runs ok
    and
    IF the price equates to about 1,145 US
    then
    It looks to me to be "a good enough" buy.

I personally prefer the 2015 design MacBook Pros to the designs that came later (2016/17/18).
    I prefer the old style keyboards and the many legacy ports.
    I have no use at all for USB3.

WORDS OF CAUTION:
    MAKE SURE that if you go look at this, that the owner POWERS IT DOWN, ALL THE WAY OFF, and then does a "cold reboot".

You want to be sure that there is no firmware/EFI password on it. If you see the firmware/EFI password display, put your money back in your pocket and say goodbye.
    You want it to boot right to the login screen (or the finder).
    Before you pay him, make sure that he has deleted his old user account.
    If necessary, create a new "temporary" user account that's empty.
    Make sure it has administrative privileges so you can boot and log into it.

MAKE SURE that the previous owner has "de-authorized" the MacBook from Apple, so when you go to set it up, YOU can create accounts as needed.

Good luck.

11. bruce0987 macrumors member

The 2015 15 inch MBP's are very similar in specs to late 2013 15 inch MBP's, aside from a moderate graphics bump and slight CPU bump. I personally was able to get a late 2013 in refurb condition (from private seller) for $920 CAD, and I think you might want to look for a better deal.

12. bigpoppamac31, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

So I didn't see your post until just now. In any event I bought the laptop and it seems to work fine. The seller did not erase the drive so all his stuff was still on it. I couldn't see any of his stuff after it went to sleep though cause I would need to log in. I also was not aware there was even a password for firmware/EFI unless that is just the user password when doing a software update. I erased the SSD in the Macbook Pro before uploading my cloned backup. Again everything seems to work fine except I can't seem to remove AirPods from my list of bluetooth devices. I went back to my 13" and was able to remove all bluetooth devices from that one though. But for some reason AirPods won't remove from the 15". Also one of the little white "arms" on the power brick is slightly broken at it's hinge which I didn't notice when I bought it. Sadly Apple power adapters are pretty expensive. It works perfectly otherwise though.

Either way I'm still debating whether to keep the 15". It's a very nice screen and is very fast but it's quite noticeably bigger than the 13" now that I'm able to compare side by side.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2018 ---

Well I ended up buying it. See previous reply above.