Macbook Pro 15" 2016 Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Khaleal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Khaleal macrumors regular

I found a good deal on a MacBook Pro 15" 2016 (baseline model), and was just wondering how many hours to expect in terms of battery life after all these macOS updates?

I'm not a heavy user, I usually surf the web/watch youtube videos (I use Safari, but like to keep many tabs open) while writing code using sublime/vs code.

2. robvas macrumors 68030

Depends on battery health but you should see 5-7 hours depending on usage

3. Khaleal thread starter macrumors regular

Oh that's much less than Apple advertised 10 hours battery, battery health is like 98%

4. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

I have a 2+ year old 2016 MBP... I still get between 7 and 11 hours depending on what's running... haven't noticed any significant degradation. My battery health is at 93%.

5. Painter2002 macrumors 65816

Painter2002

You have to keep in mind that the 10 hours that Apple quotes is not using anything that is power intensive. In fact it states the following details below that they use for testing:

"... The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The iTunes movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 1080p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The standby test measures battery life by allowing a system, connected to a wireless network and signed in to an iCloud account, to enter standby mode with Safari and Mail applications launched and all system settings left at default. Battery life varies by use and configuration."

If you use the laptop for anything task intensive (any photo editing, or excel or word, or use Chrome for browsing), the amount of battery life will be significantly less. I'd say with the others 5-7 hours would be reasonable battery life with moderately heavy usage on any of the new gen MacBook Pros.