MacBook Pro 15" 2017 - Crashing / Freezing / Glitching

j4m13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your time, I was wanting to ask your opinion on an issue I am having to best try and get it sorted. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and recently its been a horrible machine to use as it keeps freezing, locking up or just glitching.
The main issue I have is that I can be working away and it just reboots or freezes. When this happens i sometimes get a Kernel Report but most of the time the Kernel log only has the "*** Device Tree *** Log and no more information. The only other Kernel log I have is in the IOStorageFamily.
I have ran apple diagnostics, MemTest x86 and other tests on the SSD but everything passes. So I decided to Reinstall OS X by deleting the partition table, and completely starting fresh, all was fine for about a day and then it all started again.

Now, the main issue I have is that my local Apple Store is very busy and I have went to see them before in the past, they had my machine for nearly 2 weeks and said it passed all tests and gave me it back.

I really need the computer for work and I would lose a lot of money if I cannot have it for 2 weeks, is there anything you could think of that I could try to test / diagnose or even convince my Apple Store I genuinely have an issue?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Jamie

Update:
I managed to capture a video of when the MacBook crashed when just about to watch a video on YouTube. I am sorry for the bad camerawork but I was in a hurry to capture as much as I can before the MacBook reset itself. You can see at the end of this video the computer didn't even show the message it had restarted because of a problem.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Take it back to Apple. Go to another store if necessary. Have them run diagnostics and check the crash logs. You have a warranty, use it.

j4m13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
Take it back to Apple. Go to another store if necessary. Have them run diagnostics and check the crash logs. You have a warranty, use it.
I am planning on taking to the store, I would just like to gather as much information as I can because if I have to be without the machine for a week or two I really would like the problem fixed. It does have Apple Care etc I just haven't had any luck before.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I am planning on taking to the store, I would just like to gather as much information as I can because if I have to be without the machine for a week or two I really would like the problem fixed. It does have Apple Care etc I just haven't had any luck before.
I would pretty firm that keeping the unit for an extended amount of time is not acceptable. Maybe they will just give you a new one and send you on your way.

j4m13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
I would pretty firm that keeping the unit for an extended amount of time is not acceptable. Maybe they will just give you a new one and send you on your way.
Okay, I see. I was under the impression that they would never swap out a Mac under really any circumstances? I bought a 2009 MacBook which failed within 1 week and I needed to get it repaired. They always say because its CTO I cannot get it replaced.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Okay, I see. I was under the impression that they would never swap out a Mac under really any circumstances? I bought a 2009 MacBook which failed within 1 week and I needed to get it repaired. They always say because its CTO I cannot get it replaced.
No guarantees, but people report getting systems say they got a swap. But, if you have a CTO a swap might be more difficult.

haralds2

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2018
Luzern
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your time, I was wanting to ask your opinion on an issue I am having to best try and get it sorted. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and recently its been a horrible machine to use as it keeps freezing, locking up or just glitching.
The main issue I have is that I can be working away and it just reboots or freezes. When this happens i sometimes get a Kernel Report but most of the time the Kernel log only has the "*** Device Tree *** Log and no more information. The only other Kernel log I have is in the IOStorageFamily.
I have ran apple diagnostics, MemTest x86 and other tests on the SSD but everything passes. So I decided to Reinstall OS X by deleting the partition table, and completely starting fresh, all was fine for about a day and then it all started again.

Now, the main issue I have is that my local Apple Store is very busy and I have went to see them before in the past, they had my machine for nearly 2 weeks and said it passed all tests and gave me it back.

I really need the computer for work and I would lose a lot of money if I cannot have it for 2 weeks, is there anything you could think of that I could try to test / diagnose or even convince my Apple Store I genuinely have an issue?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Jamie

Update:
I managed to capture a video of when the MacBook crashed when just about to watch a video on YouTube. I am sorry for the bad camerawork but I was in a hurry to capture as much as I can before the MacBook reset itself. You can see at the end of this video the computer didn't even show the message it had restarted because of a problem.

Did you get your problem solved? I seem to have the same issue with a 2017 MBP. Often it freezes when zooming in or out in a Google Maps Tab in Safari. The only way to get out of the situation is to press the on/off button and do a hard shutdown.

OSX15

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
Did you get your problem solved? I seem to have the same issue with a 2017 MBP. Often it freezes when zooming in or out in a Google Maps Tab in Safari. The only way to get out of the situation is to press the on/off button and do a hard shutdown.
I've had similar problems as reported by the OP and you. They ended up replacing my top-case assembly which includes, aluminium case, speakers, keyboard, trackpad, battery. Everything good now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.