MacBook Pro 15" 2018 - can't boot after screen repair - what should I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jafico1, Jun 3, 2019.

1. jafico1 macrumors member

Hi all,

Apologies for any spelling mistakes etc, but I'm typing this on my phone as my Macbook is out of commission.

To put a long story short, my MBP developed the dreaded screen tint issue, so I took it to the Apple Store last Friday to see whether they could fix it, seeing as I only got this one in November (which is MBP 2018 #3 for me). I received it this afternoon from the Apple Houston service center in a state that I can only describe as bricked - my installation of macOS was gone (of course I backed up Friday morning), and Internet Recovery is what the laptop automatically boots into, except even that doesn't work: I tried using both my college's unsecured "guest" network and Ethernet and neither seem to work.

I spoke to Apple earlier and they said that they would send me a box for a mail in repair, as I really didn't want to make the 3h round trip to the nearest Apple Store again (not having a car). It is just extremely frustrating to have spent almost $3000 on a laptop and still not have a completely functioning machine after three replacements, so does anyone have any other suggestions as to whether this experience is normal or any other suggestions for helping me get a working machine. Thanks in advance for everyone's help .

2. Britain4 macrumors newbie

What happens when you try to use Internet Recovery? If you have a suitable USB drive you could make a bootable disk and try installing it from that.

Otherwise that sucks but good that they've offered to fix it I guess!

3. Ael_MR macrumors newbie

3 returns in a row? I suggest you attempt to escalate to someone higher up at Apple and request a refund.

4. jafico1 thread starter macrumors member

Whenever I use Internet Recovery I get a bunch of error codes, both when using Wi-Fi and Ethernet. In addition, the laptop is running pretty warm whenever Internet recovery is being used - the fans are kicking in even when the computer is sitting idle waiting for me to choose a Wi-Fi network, which seems pretty abnormal to me. I'd try to make a USB drive but unfortunately I don't have admin privileges on any of the computers available to me.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2019 ---
    I haven't had a great experience to be honest. I purchased my original MBP in July last year, which got replaced in the middle of August because of issues with the T2 chip as well as a sticky keyboard. The August machine worked well until October, when the laptop started to make rattling noises whenever the fans started running. Apple replaced my machine in November and this is the current laptop I have now :-( .

Any idea how I could potentially escalate this issue?