Macbook pro 15" 2x Sata3 ports?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shakakaw, Apr 10, 2013.

1. shakakaw macrumors newbie

Hi.
    Simple question really.

Does the macbook pro 15" mid2012-->now: have 2x sata3 accesspoints in it?

= Can i buy 2x. sata3 hdds. and put them in the computer while removing the old hdd that´s innit?

Thinking of buying 1x ssd and 1x 7200rpm hdd.

Just wanting to be sure on this before i buy.
    // soon to be 1st time mac owner :D...

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

A second hard drive can be added to the SuperDrive bay. There are adapter kits to add a standard 2.5" drive in place of the disc drive. The interface is different physically but electrically SATA is SATA- the adapter takes care of the rest.

Whether it supports full 6GBPS SATA-III is something you would have to ask someone who has done this swap more recently than I. My last OptiBay'd machine was the 2010 model which came out while 3GPBS was the norm.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

A 7200 RPM hard drive can operate to its potential on a SATA I connection. If that's the setup you're going with, you need not worry about the optical bay being SATA III.

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

5. shakakaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Does this mean that the macs from 2012 have 2x sata3 ports and that i won´t need to care for what hdd i go with? - meanin i could buy 1x ssd and 1x hdd7200 both goin with a sata3 connection?

6. shakakaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Cuz, all i find on the net is people having problem connecting a sata3 to hdd they place in the the opticaldrives space.

7. jmdMac macrumors regular

I believe some people had problems with getting SATA3 speeds when using an SSD in the optical drive in 2011 MBPs.

This is not the case for post-2011 machines. Both the hard drive bay and optical drive have full SATA3 speed.

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Added for emphasis. My late-2011 has had no trouble with SATA III drives in the optical bay.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's some machines, and some drives. It appears to be a completely random incompatibility, and does also affect some 2012 ones too.

One of my friends tried to put two Samsung 840 Pros in RAID 0 in his 2012 15" - the ODD bay refused to see either of the drives. He then swapped them for 2 Vertex drives and they worked fine.

10. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Maybe it's an adapter issue. I've always used the OWC Data Doubler and run at least half a dozen hard drives and SSDs in the optical bay with no issues whatsoever.

However with my recent purchase of the new 960 GB Crucial M500, I won't ever have to worry about caddies again, or at least not for the foreseeable future. :D

11. shakakaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I ordered my macbook pro 2012 with a 500gb nonupgraded hdd.

These items are what I´ve been lookin for to buy :

http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/varukorgen/60168

There are 2 different hdds there, think im goin with the sata3 bigger one.

Am i doing anything wrong here or should this work?