MacBook Pro 15" 500 SSD I7 Processor 2010 - Fair Selling Price

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Azekecse, May 17, 2013.

1. Azekecse, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013

Azekecse macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

My job has provided a MacbookPro 15" Retina, so I am trying to sell my MacBook Pro i7 500G SSB 8Gb ram, and Mountain Lion, prior to the WWDC.

What would you consider a fair selling price for this piece of customized hardware?

I have the original box, the equipment is in impeccable shape, which includes Zagg shielding all around. I am an IT Systems Engineer for a major consulting firm and maintain my equipment.

Your opinions and thoughts are welcomed. Thank you in advance.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

That model goes for around $850 on Ebay. Add $20 for Mountain Lion, $400 for SSD ($500 retail, but at a discount), and $50 for 8 GB RAM. Puts you at around $1300. That's probably a good estimate, maybe a little more or less depending on the buyer.

3. Azekecse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you I appreciate you quick response.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

4. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

if you want a quick sale I'd price it closer to $1100. it will take more time and work to get 1300.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

$275-300 is more realistic for the SSD, depending on the brand and model, less if you're bundling it as part of the computer. Prices have dramatically fallen over the last several months, and the debut o the Crucial M500 will continue to keep prices depressed. Catch a decent sale and you can buy a brand new 480-512 GB unit for well under $350. Heck, $275 is what I paid for a 500 GB Samsung 840 (non-Pro) not 6 weeks ago.

The OP would probably get more money putting in the original hard platter hard drive (if available) and selling the SSD separately. Keep the 8 GB of RAM with the computer, though.

6. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

???

I'm not sure if all of the above posts are serious or are jokes.

A rMBP with 512 SSD and 8GB RAM in good sahpe will go for at least $2000. Technically, on eBay they're prior to the end of a current auction, a 256 SSD with 8GB is going for $1825– that's with a lower clock speed.

You can take my advice with confidence as well– I've owned many MBPs and have sold many on eBay. Your machine shouldn't sell for less that approximately $400-$500 less than retail price.

7. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I don't believe they sold rMBPs in 2010. Check the title again.

8. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

It's not a retina? It's an older 2010 model.

9. Azekecse, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013

Azekecse thread starter macrumors newbie

Definitely not Retina!!!

Thanks all, I appreciate your thoughts, please keep them coming.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

10. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Lmao its the year 2013 maybe if it was 2010

11. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

He put Retina, so I quoted Retina. I didn't read that it was a 2010 model. I should've known from the first post that he didn't know a whole lot about computers.

12. tann macrumors 68000

It might get you more money if you take out the big SSD and sell it separately.

I'm not sure how many people would be in the market for a 2010 MacBook w/ huge ssd vs a 2010 MacBook for one person, and a huge SSD for the other!

13. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

So true. I've sold a MBP with a 256GB OWC SSD back when that was a big deal ;) and I ended up losing some of the profit I would have gained had I just placed a 1TB HDD @ 7200 rpm (or 5400 rpm for that matter).

I second tann– take out the SSD and replace with a large HDD.

14. Azekecse thread starter macrumors newbie

This quote amuses me greatly :D...

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

15. Kyle2123 macrumors newbie

I'm in pretty much the same situation as the OP - work just bought me a Retina so now I'm looking to unload my Early 2011 15" MBP with 8GB RAM and a 500GB SSD along with the original 500GB drive in there too using Optibay. I am not sure what to price it at, and I'm also not sure if, for resale value, I'd be better off leaving it dual-HD or pulling the second hard drive and putting the SuperDrive back in.

Also, what does everyone recommend doing to sell? Craigslist? Really nervous to use eBay and then get screwed on a chargeback through PayPal.

16. Azekecse, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013

Azekecse thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Kyle2123,

I am personally not a Craiglist fan, because of how it relates to my investing time. I sell my Mac devices either via E-bay or other Mac buying vendors, because to me time is money. Just my humble thoughts, however YMMV.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

17. Kyle2123 macrumors newbie

I agree - I usually sell everything on eBay... but the chance of getting scammed with a chargeback goes up when you're selling expensive stuff, and I am scared I'd be out 1K+ and have no real options to recover the money or my laptop.

18. tann macrumors 68000

I can't recommend sites for selling as I live elsewhere but I think in your case too it might be best to put the optical drive back in with the standard HDD and sell the SSD separately. Not sure how many people would be in the market for a dual-HD near 2 generation old MBP vs someone wanting an older MBP and someone else wanting a cheaper SSD.

19. Azekecse thread starter macrumors newbie

Good evening Everyone,

I have decided to sell my 2010 MacBook Pro w/ 500 SSD, 8Gb Ram, i7 processor for $850.00 to a vendor who sells via the internet. I have dealt with this website Mac vendor prior to this transaction. I could have probably done better via E-bay or Craigslist, however time is money.

Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts and opinions.

Peace and blessings,

Azekecse

20. B... macrumors 68000

B...

That seems a little low, especially with all your upgrades.

21. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Yeah that's definitely low. Figure $700 or so for the computer and another $250 for the SSD. But that's why the vendor bought it; he's in business to make money.

___

----------

I bought one (minus the SSD but + a Win7 copy & license) for $900 last October.

Someone might pay up for the SSD on the Sandy Bridge chipset (with SATA III), but you'll probably be better off taking the computer back to stock and selling the SSD separately.

As for CL effectiveness, it all depends on where you live and making it a habit not to even engage the lowballers. In my neck of the woods CL is pretty effective. You definitely save time, hassle, and fees vs eBay.

___

22. amit715 macrumors member

ask for 1400 cause someone will always try and talk you down with the price ...i think if you settle for 1150-1200 that would be a fair price

23. Azekecse thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I appreciate your comments, thank you very much. I decided to go with the third party vendor I previously mentioned in my OP. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to dedicate to this endeavor (perhaps when I retire :)).

Peace and blessings,

Azekecse