Price Advice Macbook Pro 15" - 512mb vs 1gb (Video Editing)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DunToldYa, Jul 22, 2012.

1. DunToldYa macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've been browsing through previous threads but haven't really encountered any solid advice on a question of mine: Is there a significant increase in performance (with regard to video editing - Final Cut/Avid) when comparing the low and high end 2012 Macbook Pro 15"?

It would be great to hear whether it's worth splashing out and getting the 1gb gfx Macbook, or whether the 512mb low-end will do the job well enough, since I'll already be upgrading the ram to 8gb and will be looking around for a suitable SSD to replace the 750 HDD.

I don't intend to game on the machine, just video edit and watch the odd film.

Thanks in advance!

2. DunToldYa thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump, anyone got any ideas on this one? Hoping to make the purchase in the next few weeks and am finding it really hard to come to a decision!

Thanks

3. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Tak the 512, you wouldn't really notice a difference. And you can upgrade to 8GB and a bigger HDD much cheaper then what apple makes you pay for the high end model.

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Take it from a professional POV.
    More RAM across the board and faster CPU/HD....nuff sed!

5. DunToldYa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys, think I may go for the high-end version at this rate - guess it's best to max the non-upgradeable parts for the future's sake.

6. mBox macrumors 68020

For the retina version, most Ive read opted for the 16GB since you cant upgrade with that one.