Macbook Pro 15"+ ACD 27"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mak713, Mar 13, 2011.

1. mak713, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

mak713 macrumors member

Hey Guys!

I just got my new 15" Macbook pro(High end) and am very seriously considering buying the 27" ACD. Just a little background about my notebook usage: Besides using it for school, I use my notebook primarily for watching Movies and Tv shows in HD(1080p-where possible), playing games in Windows.As such, I need help on the following please:

1)When the Macbook Pro is plugged into the ACD, does the fan tend to get very noisy? I do understand that it depends on the what apps I have running or how many. I am hoping that folks who have a MBP+ACD could give me their valuable inputs on the same please.

2) Would buying the BookArc by twelve south help it to remain cooler or make it less noisy if put on the stand in the manner in which it is displayed on their website:
    http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc/

Thanks for all your inputs in advance!

Mak

2. Terry Norton macrumors member

Terry Norton

You pretty much described my set up, except I have a 17".

I bought and started using a refurb 27" ACD and a 17" MBP with SSD a bit over a week ago. Right behind the ACD is the MBP in a BookArc.

I'm sure there are going to be some cooling and temperature differences between a 15" and a 17". I put on "The Da Vinci Code" in fit-to-screen size then viewed iStat Pro for temps and fans.

Temps started at about 60 and stabilized about 75. The fans started at 2000 and went to 4300.

I played the movie with the sound almost off so I could hear the fans. I had to put my ear very close to the MBP to actually hear the fans running.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

My view of this neat set up is that of having a 27" iMac with portable guts. Basically the ACD is half an iMac already, it's just missing the logic board, hard drive and fans.

This is my first ACD, it's quite beautiful.

Prior to this set up I was using a 2007 24" iMac.

3. Pengapine macrumors member

I like to hear more about this setup as well. I have a 15" MBP (higher end, hi-res, AG) and a 27" ACD coming soon :D

I was contemplating between the ARC and the MRain stand. How is the cooling on the Arc? There were some customers reviews that seem to indicate cooling issues.

I am contemplating whether to dual-screen the setup or to just use the ACD when the mpb is plugged in. Any thoughts on pros/cons?

4. mak713 thread starter macrumors member

Terry,

Thanks for the reply. So, in your opinion,the Bookarc's a good investment. I'm leaning towards getting one myself as the last thing I want from my MBP is go to have the fans start going crazy and being really loud. Also, what kind of keyboard do you use?Wired or wireless?

Mak

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I personally went with the griffin elevator stand. So i have the option of keeping the laptop opened at times when i need to and closed too. Also it raises the MBP up and allows airflow underneath.

6. Terry Norton macrumors member

Terry Norton

I'm using a wireless keyboard and a Magic Trackpad mounted in a Magic Wand.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I have a 13" hooked up to a 24" ACD myself. The fan is at 2000 rpm during normal usage so you won't hear it, but once a video starts to load or other CPU intensive work is done, it'll go up to either 4000 or 6000 rpm.