Macbook Pro 15"+ ACD 27"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mak713, Mar 13, 2011.

1. mak713 macrumors member

Hey Guys!

I just got my new 15" Macbook pro(High end) and am very seriously considering buying the 27" ACD. Just a little background about my notebook usage: Besides using it for school, I use my notebook primarily for watching Movies and Tv shows in HD(1080p-where possible), playing games in Windows.As such, I need help on the following please:

1)When the Macbook Pro is plugged into the ACD, does the fan tend to get very noisy? I do understand that it depends on the what apps I have running or how many. I am hoping that folks who have a MBP+ACD could give me their valuable inputs on the same please.

2) Would buying the BookArc by twelve south help it to remain cooler or make it less noisy if put on the stand in the manner in which it is displayed on their website:
    http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc/

Thanks for all your inputs in advance!

Mak

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

I believe you answered your own question. The fan will come on depending on usage.

Will an ADC cause the fan to come on in and of itself no.

Will the bookarc help keep the computer cool, sure, will it keep it quieter? That depends on how intensive the computational task you ask it to do is.

Cheers

3. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I use my Core i7 15 inch MBP as a desktop every day resting in a Bookarc connected to a 27 inch ACD. The computer does not run any hotter in this configuration than when used as a true notebook. The unit vents through the hinge area and thus remains unobstructed while in clamshell mode.

4. mak713 thread starter macrumors member

So, based on your opinions, is it fair to say that there is no real advantage of getting the Bookarc when it comes to the machine remaining cooler or the fan running real loud?(Depending on apps usage etc). I was under the impression that using it in clamshell mode while resting vertically would help disperse more heat as compared to using it with the bottom placed against an appropriate surface!

Mak

5. mdh95070 macrumors member

Do you know if the ACD has an HD camera, as found in your 2011 MBP?

thanks much

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i have mine on top of a notebook cooler in clamshell mode and it remains nromally cooler and not much hotter if i was just running the notebook normally itself and playing games.
    the cooler doesnt add any extra noise either.

Code:
    Do you know if the ACD has an HD camera, as found in your 2011 MBP?

thanks much 
    the 27" LED ACD has a built in isight/facetime camera

7. mdh95070 macrumors member

Thanks so much for respond. Is there a difference between the new mbp camera and the ACD? Quality wise?

8. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

As far as I'm concerned, the advantage of the BookArc is desktop space savings. I don't feel it was designed to cool the notebook.

9. kolax macrumors G3

No, it won't. Driving that amount of pixels will not cause the fans to kick in at all, nor will you see any temperature increase, unless you are doing intensive tasks.

The BookArc will cause your MacBook Pro to get hotter than normal, if you are doing intensive tasks. This is because the lid is closed, so air flow is more restricted. With the exhaust pointing in the air, it might not be too drastic, but having the lid closed is never a good idea if you are doing anything intensive as it really restricts air flow.