macbook pro 15" and 24" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gr81mgbgt, Mar 11, 2009.

1. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There isn't the "right" answer to your question. You're basically comparing your MacBook Pro to an iMac. Adding an ACD would be an add-on, a very good add-on but you can't really compare it since then you would be questioning whether you should've got a desktop instead.

Yes ACD is great with a MacBook Pro but if you're doing desktop work, I would always go with it over a portable because it's that much more powerful.

3. NickM macrumors 6502

It certainly depends on the specs of the two machines you're comparing... duhh. ;)
    If you're the portability of a MacBook Pro is a MUST HAVE requirement for you, then that is the obvious choice. Adding the 24" ACD will definitely be a plus when your'e using it at home, in that one spot that you have put the ACD.
    Two monitors is always nicer than one.

I think it basically boils down to whether or not you want the portability of the laptop.

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

Guys... Is the 24'' 3.06ghz Imac much powerful than the 2.54-2.66 Unis?

Let me know,
    JC

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

obviously

better cpu and better gpu, but of course you sacrifice any portability

6. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

i would say go with the MBP and the 24 inch screen. Great screen partnered with cool features and portability.

7. christall109 macrumors 6502

Personally, I use a Macbook Pro and a Samsung 24" monitor (I would steer away from the ACD as there is a about a 200-300 dollar mark up for comparable models).

I love my set up. It gives the allusion of a desktop, yet I still have duel screens + portability, which is a must if you are a student like me.

Here's a pic to give you an idea (excuse the snow background as it was taken in December)

Attached Files:

8. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Believe it or not, the ACD isn't as over priced when you look at what you're getting. First off, H-IPS panels are very expensive. The cheapest 24" IPS panel I could find was an HP that costs $610. Now add the fact that it is LED and you can see the price really climb. Who else makes a 24" H-IPS LED monitor? The speakers in the ACD I hear are pretty decent, plus you get an integrated power adapter which is very useful for macbooks.

With that taken into account the $900 price tag is quiet as staggering, but I don't know of any other LED monitors so its hard for me to say it adds X amount to the price tag. You of course are paying for the aluminum and beautiful styling as well.

IMO the ACD's biggest weak point is the lack of inputs. One mini-display port. A 24" monitor like that should last for about 8 years IMO. I don't know of a MBP can last 8 years, many will want to upgrade after I'd say 4 years. Now you have to ask yourself, what mini-display ports will be around for you to connect that ACD to? Will MAC's continue to use them or will they die off like firewire is right now?

To the OP. The iMac will be more powerful, but the Macbook Pro+Cinema display will be more versatile. You'll have a laptop that you can take anywhere, and four years from now if you want to upgrade your laptop you'll already have a screen to accompany. At least the mini-display port should work.

9. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

MacBook Pro 15" 2.66GHz + 24" LED Cinema Display = 24" iMac 2.66GHz + an extra 15" Display for portability.

You get the best of both worlds... combined makes... Laptop & Desktop

Same speck as the iMac.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. nickcliborne macrumors regular

I love Samsung products but your statement is false. The panels used in the ACD (S-IPS) are better quality than the Sammys.

11. nickcliborne macrumors regular

Not true. The iMac offers better graphics than the MBP.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I also have a Samsung display, but your info is false as stated in two other previous posts. First, the ACD has a H-IPS panel. These panels are excellent in terms of color accuracy. That might not mean much to you, but for graphic design and print, it's important for the screen to match what prints out. Second, it's LED backlit whereas most displays are CCFL. LED is brighter, power efficient, and thinner. You also pay for the glass, aluminum design, and power adapter for Macs.

13. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Not true...

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MjI4OTY2
    VS
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTI2NDg

The 24" iMac 2.66GHz has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics like the MacBook Pro... also with the MacBook Pro, you can switch it to NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT.

Also the iMac doesn't have the LED screen like the new ACD... it uses a cheapo LCD display...

The only down side is that it's pricier then the iMac & you get more HD space then the MacBook Pro 2.66GHz

14. nickcliborne macrumors regular

Yes the cheapest has the same intergrated card but the iMac still has better graphics with the GT130 or 4850

15. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Only if you don't need portability, because for the price of a MacBook Pro 15", you could get a low-end Nehalem quad-core Mac Pro instead of an iMac. The iMac uses laptop parts. If you want cheap without portability, go for the Mac Mini + 24" LED ACD.

16. Cantunis macrumors member

after seeing that pid .. I must buy a macpadd .

17. rupnok macrumors member

Where in the world did you get the cool MacBook and iPod stands?! I just bought a refurb 24" iMac, and would love the iPod stand...

18. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

19. christall109 macrumors 6502

I never gave false info, I just stated that if price was a problem you could find something similar. I know that the ACD are great quality much better than mine (you get what you pay for obviously) but if your not into the whole graphic design thing, this could be an option. Plus I have an HDMI input and speakers in the display for Call of Duty:World at War :) A must a for a college student. I then can in the future hook up my xbox 360.

But again it just boil down to what you need it for and what you require of the monitor.