Macbook Pro 15" and OSX Server

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cpttango30, Jan 8, 2009.

1. cpttango30 macrumors newbie

Hello first post here. I am the IT guy for an Elementary school. I have 90 macbooks and 3 macbook Pros. One of my Pros just sits in my office collecting dust. I would like to take this and make it my update server running OSX Server. The only thing I would need this Server to do is go to apple and get macbook updates once a week at night. I have a once a month update rotation for my macbooks It would really help and make it faster to run the updates from a local server and not try to run 30 macbooks at a time out to apple for updates and kill what little bandwidth I have. Or like I have been doing let one tell me what updates to download then put them on a flash drive and do each one individually.

So will a macbook pro work in this aspect?

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

It will work fine. Just make sure you have a fast network or you may be waiting around a while when those large updates hit :D

3. cpttango30 thread starter macrumors newbie

Large updates take all day and most of a night now. Like the last security update HA that took two days for one group of 15 macbooks.

My network inside the bldg is fast it is going out and coming in that is what slows me up.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The tiny 5400 RPM disk may crack under the weight of 15 clients demanding access let alone 80+. Perhaps an external FW800 drive or even better, a Mac Pro.

5. cpttango30 thread starter macrumors newbie

My budget would not let me buy enough ink and toner for my printers let alone buy a mac pro.

I would not run all at once (90) mac books. If I did this it would be in batches or no more than ten.