Macbook Pro 15 and Starcraft 2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theros, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Theros macrumors newbie

Hi, this is my first post in the forum ;)

Im considering the return to the mac side :apple:

My previous laptop was a Macbook Pro 15 Mid 2009 (C2D 2.53Ghz, Nvidia 9400M), i was very happy except with the graphics in some stuff.

So an opportunity came and i exchanged my mac for a Alienware M15x because since i was very child i wanted a gaming laptop, and like Starcraft 2 was coming in less than a month i didn't thought any more (My dream is accomplished :p).

Honestly i miss OSX (that was my first mac, i only stayed with it 4-6 months), and the battery principally, right now im happy but like traveled to Germany the battery in my M15x i perceived it very low (less than 1:30 hours compared to the 5 hours of my MBP).

First i have to sell my alienware, but i don't want a "drop" in performance and go with a MBP 13" with C2D, and also i want to play SC2 in OSX, no bootcamp if is possible, is the only game that i will play apart from WoW and Ragnarok Online (when i was with my old MBP i tried to play the game in OSX, im going to continue trying).

The most possible option for me is the MBP 2010 with Core i5 2.44/2.53, i see those models have a Nvidia 330M (is not too much difference from my current GT 240M), how is the performance in SC2/WoW in OSX? Somebody has problems with that models?

I see that is possible a very close refresh for the 2011 models, somebody knows in which dates is possible to succeed that?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Theros thread starter macrumors newbie

In which quality runs SC2 those models? and how much FPS in-game?

Honestly for me C2D is not an option, first for the price i prefer going for a i5 and in performance i will use probably audio/video encoding like a hobby, so that is what is making me not to consider those 13 models (apart from the screen, almost all my life i had used only 15" and 17 models", but like the next year i will travel the 15" are the only options for me).

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't know. It'd depend on the graphics settings. How do you see fps in-game? Far more important is latency- if you have a decent connection the computer has no problem keeping up.

5. Theros thread starter macrumors newbie

To see fps in-game leave the mouse over the Menu button/tab while playing and it should show the current fps.

In connection i don't have any problems actually.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

7. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

In my experience it's pretty poor. You can't play at the hi res screens native res smoothly unless you turn the settings way down. IMO you have to use Windows 7 or a good iMac to game. The GPU in the MB Pro really is a poor performer in OSX.
    I would wait to see what GPU's the refresh brings, I'm personally thinking of changing to a fully specced 21.5" iMac after their next refresh.