Macbook Pro 15" base model (2011). Red Flickering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by southernbear78, Mar 23, 2011.

1. southernbear78 macrumors newbie

I am not exactly sure how to describe this (as I can't really take a picture, since it happens so quickly).

Basically, when I open various applications (Facetime, iTunes, Safari), the wallpaper image I have in the background has a weird issue where any black pixels "flash" red briefly. Not all black pixels turn red, just the area near the icon related to the application that is opened - if that makes sense.

It is not a BIG deal, but just kind of annoying. I have applied all the recent updates, and I thought it was resolved, but it still continues.

Thank you in advance,

2. wdahab macrumors newbie

Is this on an external display, or on your laptops monitor? Flickering red speckles is a classic symptom of a loose or flawed DVI/HDMI cable. It's often reproducible with a slight shake. I don't know about it being localized to just near the icon of the program, though. Those applications, specifically, trigger graphic switching. So it could be a problem of the switching combined with a bad connection somewhere (just a preliminary hypothesis). Install gfxcardstatus, set to integrated only, and see if it still happens.

Either way, if this is persisting and you can recreate the flaw at the Genius Bar, Apple will almost certainly take care of it for you.

3. southernbear78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick response. I guess it would help if I included those details. I haven't connected it up to an external monitor as of yet, but I may give that a shot and see if I notice the problem on a different display.

I will give your suggestion a try and go from there. I thought about taking it to the Genius Bar, but since I can't reproduce it consistently...they probably won't be able to help.

Thanks again!!