MacBook Pro 15 base model _ disk space 256

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jcmendes, Apr 30, 2017.

1. jcmendes macrumors member

I am a normal user, no video editor , only a little os photos, and bought a base model 15 (2016) with 256G of disk.

I think is enough but sometimes my mind is alerting me to change.

Right now I have 150G free space (my machine is new with 5 days)...the questions is what is the minimum disk space necessary for the OS X run with tranquility?

This is a machine to stay 5 years at least.

thanks (sorry my English )

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Try to maintain at least 10-15% free space on ANY system.

This enables the filesystem to juggle space in order to remain less fragmented.

If you're expecting to push this to 5 years, i'd be jumping to 512 GB to be honest.

A couple of phone backups, a few video files in HD, a few applications, and 200 GB gets eaten up real quickly.

3. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Disk space sometimes reminds me of that George Carlin skit "A place for my stuff." The bigger the space, the more stuff you will find to fill it. That said, if you are already at 150G free space, unless your intent is to be a minimilist with what you store phytically on the laptop vs cloud or external disk, 512GB may be a more comfortable fit for you looking at future use.

4. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Yup.

Also, just on the whole "fragmentation doesn't matter on SSDs!" thing. Well, it does because eventually you can actually have fragmentation so bad that files can't be written because they're in too many fragments but also...

With more free space your SSD can more effectively do wear levelling.

Free space also allows you to have local time machine backups and file versions. If you run your disks completely full, you lose that.

5. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

I'm a professional photographer who handles massive RAW and TIFF files for printing. And I use the base model.

I see no issue because I don't know anyone who stores large files on their system in my field or even in video. Everyone stores on external drives. I currently have 168 GB free and it likely won't get much lower.

But some have requirements that are different. You certainly won't make a mistake by getting the larger drive.

R.

6. jcmendes thread starter macrumors member

ok actualy with a "purgue" os 36G (white with line) with a clean of trash. Maybe is enough ?

Attached Files:

7. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

Dont pay the extra difference and get an external.