Macbook pro 15" Battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vslo, Jul 10, 2010.

1. vslo macrumors regular

Hi,
    Im getting soon a 15"macbook pro, the 330M with 512mb version. I was told that the GPU changes automatically from the intel integrated to the 330M, but I was wondering if I could use JUST the 330M, I mean, to switch off the intel integrated completely . And if I can, can you guys tell me how much of my battery life I will lose ?
    I am asking this because I went to an Apple store and tried a few 15" new models, and the intel integrated is all way sluggish and choppy.
    Thank you in advance!

2. Tsquare macrumors member

Do a google search for gfxcardstatus
    It will allow you to switch to which ever one you want.

3. vslo thread starter macrumors regular

But the option to disable the integrated one through system preferences , like in the old macbook pro with 9400M+9600M GT , isn't present anymore ? I remember we could choose between battery life and high performance. Is this still available , or only with this software you recommended I can do this ?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The 2010 MBPs have two options (System Preferences > Energy Saver > Battery life / Performance), one to use the 330M exclusively, the other is to use the Intel + 330M, as the OS sees fit. Thus GFXcardstatus gives you the option to really choose the Intel or the 330M card.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

In System Preferences are you checking in the Energy Saver? It should be there, I have a new 15" Core i5 MBP. If you uncheck this option it will only use the 330M.

Attached Files:

6. Vihzel macrumors 6502

How much of a battery drain is the 330M vs. the Intel?

7. vslo thread starter macrumors regular

THats what I really want to know, How long the battery will last if I use ONLY the 330M. And if using the 512mb version will cost me more than the 256 mb version. If it does, how much ?
    I know that with the automatic switching it can last for 8-9 hours , as Apple claims. My fear is that using only the 330M will cost me more that 2 of those 9 hours, and reduce significantly the battery efficiency.

8. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

If you were just browsing the web why not try the app that locks it into the integrated chip and see how long it lasts?

9. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I 'm getting 6 to 7 hours on 330+intel, but ony 4 to 5 with the 330 exclusively