Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JazzyFizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I just got my MacBook Pro 15" (yay!). After a couple charge cycles the battery health is at 98%.. But it has been 98% for a couple days, is that ok for a brand new battery?

Also, when fully charged, it only says there's around 5 hours left. I've been using the MacBook pretty much non-stop since I got it (Friday), and playing games, watching YouTube etc. so maybe it needs recalibrating?

I'm currently on 60% charge (I could swear it has gone down 10% in the past 10 minutes), and it says there's 4 hours left, which I guess is ok? (I'm just on Facebook and was playing mine craft about 20 minutes ago.

So should I recalibrate or is the 5 hour when fully charged thing something I should look into?

Thanks for reading :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just got my MacBook Pro 15" (yay!). After a couple charge cycles the battery health is at 98%.. But it has been 98% for a couple days, is that ok for a brand new battery?
It's perfectly normal.
Also, when fully charged, it only says there's around 5 hours left.
This, too, is normal. Read the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link.
maybe it needs recalibrating?
Your battery came pre-calibrated and does not require regular calibration.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

JazzyFizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Ok thanks for the confirmation guys :) call me paranoid but I got that Apple Care so if it's worth taking in for a check up I will!

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok thanks for the confirmation guys :) call me paranoid but I got that Apple Care so if it's worth taking in for a check up I will!
There's no need to have it checked. I highly recommend you read that Battery FAQ. You'll better understand how your MBP works with battery and AC power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.