MacBook Pro 15" - Buy Now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markym07931, Oct 21, 2009.

  1. markym07931 macrumors regular

    May 14, 2008

    I'm currently running a 1st Gen MacBook Pro. For those who can't remember that far back, it's 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 80gb HDD, upgraded to 2gb Ram, SuperDrive, and b/g wifi.

    I'm considering splashing out the cash for the 2.8ghz MBP, 4gb Ram, 500gb hdd...

    my question is, do it now, or wait til a "newer" MBP comes out. I'm just wondering what peoples feelings are over a speed bump or a spec tweak, between now and mid november. Esp as the bottom end MBP 13" is theoretically a lower spec than the new MB White.... (hdd is smaller on the MBP)

    If enough people tell me to buy it, and as I'm not working today, I'll be on the road to nip to my second nearest apple store, and go and purchase one! (damn Meadowhall being closed for refurb!)

  2. superlatic macrumors regular

    Jun 17, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Go and buy it

    MBP refresh will be january at the earliest
  3. rgarjr macrumors 603


    Apr 2, 2009
    Southern California
  4. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

    Feb 5, 2008
    I wouldn't. If you look at the current macbook and the low end macbook pro, they basically have the same specs. I think that apple will do a slight revision of the MBP to make a clearer line between the pro line and the macbook line. Just what I'm thinking, I could be totally wrong.
  5. smirking macrumors 65816


    Aug 31, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    I'm in just about the same boat as you are. I have a second gen MacBook Pro whose battery is out of synch. I can't justify shelling out another $125 for a new battery for it so I'm waiting for an upgrade opportunity. I won't be surprised if no "update" happens until January, but at the same time the price vs. performance gap between the 13" MB and 13" MBP doesn't make any sense unless the 13" MBP is getting phased out.

    I've waited this long. I can wait a few more months, but hopefully only one or two. I'd like to buy this thing in 2009 so I can claim it for my business expenses for 2009.
  6. clyde2801 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't, wait until you do. Does your current mbp do what you need it to do? If so, you don't need one.

    Consider putting in a newer, faster hd to get back a little bit of that new car smell. I upgraded the 120 gig hd of a first gen c2d mbp to a 320 gig seagate 7200.3, and it made a noticeable performance difference over the original drive.
  7. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    You're not wrong, but you can play this game forever.
  8. markym07931 thread starter macrumors regular

    May 14, 2008

    I went to the Apple Store, and had a good chat to a Personal Shopper there, and even though he was trying to down sell me to a 13", I did go for a 15", however the midrange, as I really don't need 500gb HDD space, and the 2.66ghz processor will do the trick..

    I also for some reason bought a Apple TV... hmm.. well someone has to!

  9. queshy macrumors 68040


    Apr 2, 2005
    Nice! Enjoy!!!

    My rule is don't buy expensive hardware when the rumors are running rampant. For example, I would not have purchased an iMac in the past 2 months because the rumors have been really strongly suggesting a new imac. I haven't really seen anything for the MacBook Pro, as it just came out in June, and the new processors which people think will be put in it aren't even out yet.
  10. markym07931 thread starter macrumors regular

    May 14, 2008
    Yup.. I am enjoying... the battery life is amazing compared to my old laptop, and it just works..

    took 10 mins to set up from my time capsule backup and it's the same as my old laptop set up.. which is rather a clean set up from a snowleopard install anyway... :)

  11. cleung macrumors regular

    Jan 11, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Congrats on your new purchase! i wish I could go out and buy the 15" as well.

    I too have a 15" first generation MBP from almost 4 years ago. I've since upgraded the HD to a 300G one earlier this year and maxed out on the 2GB Ram. However, it has become very slow lately and I do feel like I "NEED" a new computer. I've been traveling much of this year and decided I need a smaller computer so I was going to go for the next 13" MBP. But if you guys don't think we'll get a MBP revamp until January, I just hope my computer will last till then as sometimes it feels like it's going to die any time soon. With the new 13" MB, I can't really justify buying the current 13" MBP....can someone make Apple revamp the MBP soon, particularly the 13"?
  12. flakes8 macrumors regular


    Sep 17, 2009
    New England
    Thank You for this post, I have been on the fence but will go out and get a 15" MBP 2.66 and LOVE the hell out of it. If you are waiting for the next greatest thing all you are left doing is waiting. :) :apple:
  13. queshy macrumors 68040


    Apr 2, 2005
    Glad I could be of use :)

    To elaborate, it would have been foolish to buy an iMac last week before the update. It was just sooo obvious they were coming. But for the MacBook Pros. there are whispers of "arrandale" coming out but nobody is really sure when Apple will put these chips in. They finally managed to put quad core in the iMac, surely it will take more time for them to get it into the MacBook Pro, which is a way smaller device! It doesn't make sense to "wait a few months" for the computer, because you can just play this game forever! Imagine the guy who a few years ago "waited" for the 30" ACD to be updated!!!

Share This Page