Macbook Pro 15" Core i5 Temperature Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mklnz, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mklnz macrumors regular

Hey guys, just to those who have the new Core i5 MBPs, what sort of temperatures do you guys get when you start a game or graphical and processor intensive application?

Mine got up to a burning 95 degrees celcius (203 F) while the fans kept still at 2000 RPM (quite low...), then finally from there on the fans kick in and get up to about 4500-5000 RPM and bringing the temperature down to about 85 degrees.

Ambient temperature is around about 22 degrees here. (71.6 F)

Are the fans meant to kick in so late?

2. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

My MBP Core i7's fans kick up long before I reach 200+F, according to Hardware Monitor.

3. thinh3d macrumors member

They're meant to kick in when the temp reaches above 75-80 C and will stay there until your temp is down to below 70 :)

4. mklnz thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm ok, I'm using iStat nano to read my temps and fan speed at the moment. I'll check out Hardware Monitor tomororw and see if there are any difference in the readings.

5. Pax macrumors 6502a

Are you sure? On the Core2Duos I've seen (not many I admit) the fans don't kick in until about 90 C, they let the CPU temp get up to about 100 - 105 C, then pull it back down to about 90 - 95 C. Certainly my 13" MBP and a couple of others I've seen stabilise at around 95 C with the fans at about 3000 rpm. But they get hotter than this for a couple of minutes while the fans wind up.

The Intel i5 datasheets here... http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei5/mobile/techdocs.htm
    state that the maximum die temperature is 105 C and it's recommended to keep within 10 C of that (though the wording's a bit funny). Those are the same figures as the Core2Duo so I would expect similar temps from an i5 and a Core2Duo MBP. Though Apple may have given the i5 extra thermal headroom to allow the Turbo Boost to work (I'm not sure which i5 CPUs have Turbo Boost though).