Macbook Pro 15" & Dell Ultrasharp u2713hm monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pixelmason, Sep 2, 2013.

1. pixelmason macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 15" 7200 RPM
    Native screen resolution of 1680x1050
    OS X 10.8.4

Hi guys,

I just bought a Dell Ultrasharp u2713hm monitor and can not get a crisp resolution on my screen. The highest resolution setting I'm allowed to choose from is 1920x1080. Upgraded to Mountain Lion from 10.6.8. to solve this, but not help. I've tried various "force native resoution" scripts through my prompt input to no avail. Messed with the com.apple.Boot.plist file but no improvement.

Took my macbook pro to the apple store and connected it to a 27" Apple display monitor and everything was crisp and sharp showing me a resolution of 2560x1440 in the System Preferences.

Tried both mini Displayport to HDMI and mini Displayport to DVI. Mini Displayport to DVI allows for a much better resolution but far from crisp. I see faint crisscross lines on dark gray colors, blurry/fuzzy text and Apple's native icons are fuzzy.

Please, has anyone run into this issue and if so is there a solution or workaround for this. I basically don't even mind having a few pixels of black screen on any side of my monitor in exchange for the Apple crispness we all love. Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

MDP to DVI will not give you a resolution of 2560 x 1440 or 2560 x 1600 pixel.
    MDP to HDMI will also not give you that resolution.

Either you use a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable/adapter or you get the much more expensive MDP to DUAL LINK DVI adapter from Apple or Monoprice.

3. pixelmason thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 15" & Dell Ultrasharp u2713hm monitor

Thanks Simsaladimbamba! I'll get the miniDisplayport to Dual link DVI and update the thread with my results.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The text will be a little fuzzy due to font smoothing things, but graphics should be clear and sharp. Not quite as clear as the glossy Apple monitor perhaps because the non glare coating degrades clarity just a tad.

5. pixelmason thread starter macrumors newbie

Success!

The miniDisplayport to Dual link DVI did the trick. Thanks for the advice simsaladimbamba.

6. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hey, PixelMason

Congratulations on your working display. Where did you obtain the adapter from and how much did you pay for it?

Regards
    Raptor