Macbook Pro 15"-Dual Boot Windows

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by in2tech, Aug 23, 2012.

1. in2tech macrumors regular

Looking to get a new computer in the Spring 2013! Assuming the fan repair goes well on my current Windows 7 laptop. I want to add a Mac into my line of computers. Originally I thought I wanted a Macbook Air, but now after listening to podcast and visiting the Apple store fairly often and really thinking about my needs and how I use my laptop, I am leaning toward the Macbook Pro 15". I hardly ever take my laptop off my desk, but when I do need too the Pro is light enough for me to carry with me. And I want the extra power of the Pro line.

What's really important to me though is the ability to dual boot in Windows 7 for a few programs. The main one is Microsoft Flight Simulator X! Would the Macbook Pro 15" with the AMD Radeon graphics card be able to handle this? My Windows laptop basicly stopped working because of this game. And no I don't want a gaming machine only! Can the i5 or i7 handle this, as I understand they run cooler somewhat?

Also, haven't had a Mac since my old PowerPC in the 90's and can't wait to get a Mac to go with the The New iPad, iPod Touch (actually a 3GS iphone using as a touch device)!

Also when will the Macbook Pro gets it's refresh in 2013 if at all? If I am gonna spend the money I want the lastest and greatest non-retina (out of my price range) Macbook Pro!

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It will handle FSX fine, but the fans are going to spin up.

3. in2tech thread starter macrumors regular

Will it keeps the fans on too long to damage them? That's what happen on my Windows 7 laptop that I bought in 2009 although FSX came out in 2006 it so graphic intensive but I don't want a gaming only machine. Just want to be able to fly in the simulator once in awhile. Will the 13" Macbook Pro handle this as I was looking at the 13" and realized that it also has an Nvidia graphics card along with the intergrated Intel 4000!

I don't need too much power for what I do which is mainly developing websites. Don't do video editing and heavy stuff like that! Would love to save the different from the 13" to the 15" if I can!

Thanks for your help!

4. takezo808 macrumors member

13.3 mac book pros do not come with nvidia nor AMD descrete graphics chips.

the base 13.3 model is your best bet. The Intel HD 4000 is a very good integrated gpu. It should run flight similator prety good just not at ultra high resolutions.

juging on what you do, paying 2 grand for a 15" mac book pro will be over kill. Unless you love overkill.

BTW even if you can find an app for the iphone being a touch device for your mac, it's screen is too small for most gestures. the magic track pad will set you back 70 dollars but there is no better way to bring iOS feel to the Mac.

Just don't get the magic mouse as you will wish you got a normal bluetooth mouse.