MacBook Pro 15" DVI --> HDMI Panasonic 32" TV.... Will it work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mogzieee, Jan 2, 2009.

1. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Hey Guys,

I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro (previous gen), 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM... GeForce 8600M GT something-or-other. I have ordered a DVI to HDMI cable that will be able to connect this laptop to my 32" Panasonic Viera TV as an external display, theoretically.

However, has anyone else got a similar setup (or just brainy knowledge) to tell me whether this setup will function and work properly.... I hear that some laptops don't have powerful video cards for anything over 30" displays... does that count for this MBP??

Many thanks in advance.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That limitation is just for monitors with resolutions of 2560x1600. And your computer does not have this limitation.

Your 32" TV is most likely 1280x720. (or 1366x768), you shouldn't have a problem.

3. coopermac macrumors member

Just match the output of the mac and the input of the TV and all should be OK. There is no audio on DVI so you will need to connect the audio out to a matched audio in on the TV.

4. himansk macrumors regular

I use my mbp which is the first core duo model with a 32" sony bravia without any problems.

5. ACiB708 macrumors regular

I have a similar setup MBP (look at my sig) connected to a 42" Bravia (720p). It's native res is 1366*720 so I max out the settings in the LCD color display and choose 1366*720 for the other display which is the TV and it works flawlessly, the resolution is absolutely great once you've calibrated the display.

6. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot guys, I appriciate the response. I can't wait for this lead to arrive!

Many thanks
    Alastair