MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011) Battery Not Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AbSoluTc, Jul 12, 2015.

1. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Curious if this is normal. I looked up the cycle count for this machine and it's stated by Apple at 1000 cycles. This machine only has 132 and it's saying replace battery now. Is that normal? Seems like it died pretty early. I tried an SMC reset and that did not help.

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Have you had the battery replaced before? If not that could be normal, Only 132 full charge cycles in 4 years means the machine was probably on the charger most of the time. The battery needed to be drained and charged everyone once in a while to maintain a health state. If its the stock battery it may have been under utilized in that time frame and gave out. There is also the chance it just went bad.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Regardless of the amount of cycles, it is still a 4 and a half year old battery and it wouldn't be farfetched for it to no longer hold a charge.

The rule of thumb is 80% health within 1000 cycles, but I don't think that applies in this case where you are out of the realm of when any possible Apple Care would have already ran out - I could be wrong.

4. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Agreed batteries are inherently consumable with limited lifespans based on use and how old they are. A 5 year old battery is going to have noticeably less capacity than a 2 month old one even if they have the same number of cycles on them.

5. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

6. zombiecakes macrumors regular

probably the power cord, mine would say it was charging but it only charged every once in awhile, I tried a different one and it worked fine