Macbook Pro 15'' - Enter key is oblique

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MathiasLa, Jan 27, 2012.

1. MathiasLa macrumors member

Hey all. My enter key is a bit oblique. Has anyone else had this before?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All computers have slight imperfections. If it doesn't affect its functionality, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. iforbes macrumors 6502

It's not normal.

While you do not need to worry about it (probably, but if it's crooked now, who's to say there aren't underlying problems that have not presented themselves yet), I would certainly question someone at the genius bar or applecares and see what they have to say.

The holes for the keys are cut out of an aluminum block and should all have the correct shape, size and spacing/orientation to other holes. If the hole itself is the correct size/shape/orientation, but the key itself is the wrong shape, then I am sure the genius bar with simply replace the key.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The keys are all plastic. The keys are all smaller than the holes they are inserted into. They have plastic "scissor" mechanisms to depress themselves. Plastic is usually soft and flexible. Soft and flexible things do not always align themselves perfectly. When they are misaligned slightly, the key will look crooked. Therefore it's normal.

6. TechStooge macrumors member

if you really anal about it and it gives u nightmares, then tak e it to the apple store and BEG THEM to change your single enter key

7. iforbes macrumors 6502

I fail to understand how so many on this board get so angry when there is a problem with an apple product. I pay $1,500 for a computer, I expect the keys to line up and the cover to close and apps to open with no problems and etc, etc. God forbid if there is a problem with a mac product because you will have people lining up around the block to tell you that you are anal or stop worrying about it or (and this is my favorite) an SSD will fix it.

I can push the keys with my finger and they will go out of alignment but then bounce right back. Every key on my keyboard is neat and square. If it is not like this on your keyboard, OP, then you have every right to have it corrected.

End of rant...thanks for listening if you made it this far. ;)

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

While I usually think people are nuts that start whining about a little scratch in the aluminium, I agree with iforbes there might be a real issue and the SSD advisers really are going nuts around here.
    But the op should see if the plastic is somehow deformed, broken or just doesn't sit in its place properly. If the latter go to youtube and check out the vids about key cap exchange. Remove the cap and snap it back on which should fix it.
    It not all there is to do is do to an Apple shop and ask them for a spare cap.

My keys are also all aligned perfectly without a picture I guess the cap just doesn't sit properly. Those keys are all machine made there isn't one a little smaller or a bit too big and it is doubtful that it was exposed to enough heat or force to be deformed significantly.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I fail to understand when people get so upset about the possibility that it might not have anything wrong with it and that some people are just completely ANAL about their apple products. Just count how many threads exist about I have a scratch on my case, this doesn't line up, my MBP runs too hot as it runs at 80 degrees celsius under full load, my battery is at 96% and only has 3 cycles, the keyboard backlighting is not even, I went through 14 MBPs before I found one that wasn't defective, What is wrong as it takes 15.6 seconds for my MBP to boot and it used to take 14.8 seconds, etc, etc. People feel that these things are to be some super precision device, when in fact they are built and assembled by human hands. Price should have nothing to do with a device being less defective. We don't scrutinize over our $2 keyboard, so why fret over a more expensive one if they are both working. The op said it looked strange and mentioned nothing about it functioning abnormally. It is a a tool people.

Without a picture these arguments are moot.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Without people freaking out about such trivial issues, there would be an echo in this forum! :D

It's a computer, a tool, a functional device. It's not a work of art or a surgical instrument. Just use it and enjoy it! Makes me wonder if such people also wash their tires every time they get dirt on them!

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

No echo, as no one would be here to make the initial sound to be echoed!!! :D

12. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

Just put an SSD in it and it'll solve the problem.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes. It must also be 16TB in capacity.

14. iforbes macrumors 6502

Nice replies, one and all! It's nice to see the forum sane...even if I didn't help. :eek:

...oh...and apparently I am a quote whore too... :D

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

At least you didn't quote every post and then post a separate reply to each. :p

16. iforbes macrumors 6502

Wait! I can do that? hmmmm......