Macbook Pro 15 Fall 2011 Speaker Distortion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evenire, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Evenire macrumors newbie

With certain songs at max volume I have been noticing a distorted sound coming from the left speaker; it sounds like the speaker is being stressed. I have used the slider and the right speaker sounds fine. The sound is subtle and certain songs bring it out.

Could this be because since Apple have placed the subwoofer on the right side they have tried to compensate by pushing the left speaker a tad louder?

I have a feeling it could be with the new fall model so if someone with this could check i'd be very grateful.

Can you have a really good listen at full volume to a large variety of songs and see if you notice this problem? It seems to be on fast and loud rock music. Is is as if certain frequencies are stressing the speaker.

To try and describe the sound a bit better: it sounds like the equaliser has been turned up to max thus pushing the speakers too hard. But this seems to be happening with the left speaker only and the equaliser is in default. I am busy at the moment and don't have the time to take it back to the store as it is far.

Thanks

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

I don't have one of these machines in front of me at the moment, so I can't verify for you, but I doubt Apple is trying to make a speaker compensate for the location of the "subwoofer." The brain is not capable of detecting the direction of low frequency sounds. This is why the location of a subwoofer in a home theater setup is not important. Granted, calling Apple's speaker a "subwoofer" is a bit inaccurate.

If it's making any inappropriate noise, I would generally suspect it's a bad speaker.

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

there laptop speakers, whatwould u expect? the sound coming from them will be crap, especially if u play them full blast.

buy a set of external speakers and quite whining about laptop speakers. NO laptopspeaker will be as good as a full fledge external speaker, 2.1 channel or whatever