Macbook Pro 15 for Adobe and gaming - iris Pro vs 650

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Emilvillumsen, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Emilvillumsen macrumors newbie

Hello!

I am planning on buying a new MacBook Pro 15 as my last one got stolen. I had the mid 2012 15 inch which worked fine for me for using adobe programs but also for gaming wow, cs:go and diablo 3. I had fine graphics and proper framerate of 40-50.

Now I see that they removed the dgpu in the new version of MacBook Pro and now only have iris pro.

My question is: will I be able to game equally well with iris pro only as I could with my 2012 one with the 650m?

Otherwise I would have to spend more to get the dgpu 750m, which makes me feel angry that a new computer would perform worse than my older one. Hm. Also the ghz seem to have dropped?

There is a small chance for me also to wait for the next version, but if they don't provide a cheaper gpu anyhow..

Looking forward to any help, as I will have to make an informed decision today

Thank you!

2. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

the iris pro is pretty good, should be enough for gaming.

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

The 650m is about 7% faster than the iris pro. The new baseline 2014 rMBP processor is about 12% faster than the 2012 one. Probably a little worse for gaming. You might as well pick up a used 2012 model. You can find them for as little as $1200 on ebay. The 2013 15" rMBP was arguably the least impressive update of that year.

Matt

4. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I don't know about the 2013 being the 'least impressive' I would say it is the 2014 update...

Either way, on the other side - the 2013 should overall be a faster computer due to the PCI e, 4th gen intel, thunderbolt 2, etc...

I've had 2 nvidia discrete cards die on me. I don't think I'm gonna try my luck a 3rd time

5. willentrekin macrumors member

Check Refurb?

Around Thanksgiving last year, I picked up a first-gen rMBP, pretty much solely because it had the dedicated graphics card. I'm able to run Skyrim at full res in a Parallels virtual machine. I got the 16RAM option.

6. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I said it was the least impressive of that year.

7. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

So? I'm saying the 2014 was the least impressive of its year.

8. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Oh ok, I think we may have had some miscommunication. I was saying that of all the updates in 2013 for any of Apple's products, the 15" rMBP was the worst. In 2014, there really haven't been any updates for any computer, so I don't see 2014 as a problem year for the rMBP (especially since we aren't even done with the year). I just assumed that you were referencing what I said. I still disagree with what you said, but that is a different issue :p.

Matt